Topic: div class="postfootleft" should follow div class="postleft"

div class="postfootleft" should immediately follow div class="postleft" in viewtopic.php, so that stylesheets can put div class="postleft" and div class="postfootleft" together. They should be adjacent in the document tree because a user's status is closely associated with that user's other information. In fact, "postfootleft" should probably be a child of "postleft", but that change is riskier than just making them siblings.

Currently div class="postfootleft" follows div class="postright", which makes it harder to use stylesheets to reposition it, because it cannot join flow with "postleft" in certain ways.

PunBB should use HTML for structure and leave presentation for stylesheets. Therefore the div and other elements should be organized structurally based on how different things relate to each other, such as a user and their online status, rather than organized according to layout.

Example of a site which has "postfootleft" following "postleft" but looks the same as default. With stylesheets alone after "postfootleft" is changed to follow "postleft", the site can be completely changed to look like this.

Re: div class="postfootleft" should follow div class="postleft"

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think issues like this are fixed in 1.3.

Moved to Feature requests

elbekko wrote:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think issues like this are fixed in 1.3.

Well, the HTML/CSS have been completely rewritten, but I'm not sure that it necessarily addresses what leek is talking about. I'd have to ask Paul wink

I haven't decided how it is going to be in 1.3 yet. I keep changing my mind.

The example given and the requested change is not really much better than it is now. The correct structure is the online status should simply be the final item on the list in postleft and postfootleft should be removed alltogether. The web and email links should then be moved to the footer menu because they are actually action links rather than information. That however causes real problems in IE if you try to position the online status at the bottom of the post using absolute positioning. It tends to bounce up and down like a yoyo and you also have to overcome the problem of needing to make postleft position: relative though that can be sorted.