1 (edited by quaker 2007-08-27 02:57)

Topic: paypal membership

i was thinking... this way...
a user sign up it sends them to a paypal page they pay and it redirects them to a confirmation page. where they put in there paypal transaction code or the password that punbb sends them..once the money has been received.

basically a paypal gateway system inside of punbb.

any theory or thoughts.... how to start?

i know it deals with the register.php first step in the action!

Q

My stuff or my style might sux, but atleast I'm willing to help when I can.
Don't be stupid and help ! We are the stupid one's !!!

2 (edited by Reines 2007-08-27 13:54)

Re: paypal membership

I started work on a mod for punbb 1.2.* that allows people to subscribe via paypal, and automatically upgrades them to a new user group upon successful payment. It could be used for pretty much what your suggesting, if you simply have the initial member group without access to any boards.

However I would like to try tweak a little bit of it before release, and was considering charging for it (seems only fair since the mod is for use by people who are wanting to charge for membership to their forums).

I'm not sure if you were looking for a mod like this, or if you were wanting input on how you should go about coding one yourself. Thought I might as well mention it though.
A little more info: PunBB Subscription Mod.

3 (edited by quaker 2007-08-27 22:23)

exactly what i was looking for! but also im looking for other payment companys. i have some adult stuff that i cant use paypal for. but ccbill. what would you charge for such a thing?
i know a little torrent mod this would be great for .... a private membership only stuff..haha

Q

Reines wrote:

I started work on a mod for punbb 1.2.* that allows people to subscribe via paypal, and automatically upgrades them to a new user group upon successful payment. It could be used for pretty much what your suggesting, if you simply have the initial member group without access to any boards.

However I would like to try tweak a little bit of it before release, and was considering charging for it (seems only fair since the mod is for use by people who are wanting to charge for membership to their forums).

I'm not sure if you were looking for a mod like this, or if you were wanting input on how you should go about coding one yourself. Thought I might as well mention it though.
A little more info: PunBB Subscription Mod.

when is this coming?

actually punbb needs a script store... say 5.00 scripts like tufat. to generate money.... for the dev and support of punbb... this really gives me an idea for a first response support team for punbb...haha...

Q

TFD wrote:

when is this coming?

Not sure, I need to finish the subscription part just now - currently you need to wait to be returned to member before you can extend your subscription again, obviously it would make much more sense to allow users to simply extend their subscription before it expires.
I am also hoping to add gateways for ccbill, nochex, worldpay and moneybookers if possible, however I've never used any of these payment options myself before.

RE: Pricing - I'm not sure, I guess the best bet would be to find out what people think is a reasonable price.

maybe a email to the user your account about to expire in 30 then 15 days and a final notice. not sure about the moving of a user to member from subscriber... that would be a part of the crontab. to demote a user status.

8 (edited by mesmerize 2007-08-30 11:25)

Reines wrote:

RE: Pricing - I'm not sure, I guess the best bet would be to find out what people think is a reasonable price.

Not to upset you or anything but as this is a free software and covered under GPL, the terms are that any modifications can not be sold or you would be in breach of this original agreement when you downloaded Punbb.
All modifications and released updates should really be open source and free.

However, I understand that you need to make a living from your creations. If you make this and ask for a donation via a paypal button you might get some money that way, probably more people would download it and you would possibly get more interest and thus more donations. Who knows.

On a further note, I think it's a great idea for a 'paid areas' system.

Going back to the original post: I think it would be fairly simple to make paypal do this through their IPN service.
See demo here:

http://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cm … ro-outside

However, it would have to be a great forum with many resources, maybe a guest part of your forum can show people examples of the content you have etc.

mesmerize wrote:
Reines wrote:

Not to upset you or anything but as this is a free software and covered under GPL, the terms are that any modifications can not be sold or you would be in breach of this original agreement when you downloaded Punbb.
All modifications and released updates should really be open source and free.

Actually you are allowed to sell GPL covered software, the drawback though is anyone who buys it is then allowed to give it out free if they wish to do so.

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.htm … AllowMoney

I WOULD PAY FOR THE SOFTWARE TO BE DESIGNED! BUT THE AMOUNT WOULD NOT BE SOMETHING THAT IS CRAZY!

LIKE I SAID MAYBE A SCRIPT STORE FOR PUNBB!
LIKE TUFAT.COM

Q

Any new updates?

Q

bump. I could really use this. Also Id like to have that usergroup have access to stuff others dont, subscription to threads,  larger avatar, maybe a prefix for the normal rank to show they dontated, signature etc. Most of that is turned off so a switch to turn them on per usergroup would be sweet.

14 (edited by quaker 2007-09-14 20:17)

tfd you can create groups and then give them access to anything you want  you can promote or de-promote a user right now til this mod is out. you can block access to files and pages with some simple coding.

Q

Updates on this? Would be handy has my forum is getting ready and badly need this stuff tongue

16 (edited by falconflyz 2007-09-16 19:19)

Hi quaker
You can have a look on the good SMF Mod PaypalDonations I used on my SMF boards. (mod)
Regards

falconflyz, that looks ok but i need a subscription mod ...

thanks
Q

I know. Personally with SMF I simply regulated permissions for access to the forums. smile

quaker wrote:

tfd you can create groups and then give them access to anything you want  you can promote or de-promote a user right now til this mod is out. you can block access to files and pages with some simple coding.

Q

I have a usergroup all set for when I start with donations. I dont know the coding or where it goes Quaker. I want them to be able to do the following:

1 Have a signature for donors (while normal users dont) set to 0x0 for now so no one can use it- how can I turn it on for one usergroup?

2 Donors can  subscribe to threads(while normal users cant) this is turned off now- how can I turn it on for one usergroup?

3 Donors can have a larger avatar than normal users- how can I turn it on for one usergroup?

4 I want to remove the link for normal users to load their own avatar but mods and admins can still load them. This would take care of 3 since I could set the limit higher and only upload a certain size for non donors

TFD wrote:
quaker wrote:

Q

I have a usergroup all set for when I start with donations. I dont know the coding or where it goes Quaker. I want them to be able to do the following:

1 Have a signature for donors (while normal users dont) set to 0x0 for now so no one can use it- how can I turn it on for one usergroup?

2 Donors can  subscribe to threads(while normal users cant) this is turned off now- how can I turn it on for one usergroup?

3 Donors can have a larger avatar than normal users- how can I turn it on for one usergroup?

4 I want to remove the link for normal users to load their own avatar but mods and admins can still load them. This would take care of 3 since I could set the limit higher and only upload a certain size for non donors

if the donation mod, puts a user into a group, then it will be rather easy (for us)  to only alloud users have sigs, subcribe threads, and load an avatar, altoguh i peronsaly am not sure about number 3

Sorry. Unactive due to personal life.

matt1298 wrote:
TFD wrote:
quaker wrote:

Q

if the donation mod, puts a user into a group, then it will be rather easy (for us)  to only alloud users have sigs, subcribe threads, and load an avatar, altoguh i peronsaly am not sure about number 3

hmm isnt subscribe global either everyone has it or no one does? same with avatars and sigs right? everyone has the same size limitations. I need subscribe for 2 user groups only, larger avatar for 2 groups only, and sig for two groups only. I have 7 usergroups.

Is there any update on this scirpt? is it near to testing or releasing?? Im willing to pay a bit for it..

Sorry. Unactive due to personal life.

Is anyone taking this on??
Elbekko... was you doing something along this lines?

If no one has taken it on then I might have a go myself. tongue

I haven't done anything like this.
But I've looked at the PayPal API for another mod, but it's hell to work with.

I don't think the PayPal API is that bad. Can those of you who want a PayPal mod give a little more detail on what you're looking for?