Topic: TPL-Engine?!?

Hi,

is it possible to implement a template-engine, Smarty for example?!? It would be a very great feature and would ease the deep-work with punbb...

Thanks und thumbs up, a great BB!!

Re: TPL-Engine?!?

PunBB already uses templates

yemgi wrote:

PunBB already uses templates

Not really, it has a few page templates but thats not the same thing.

The idea of templating is sound enough but a template engine is over the top, particularly smarty. Why bother when php will do the job and save you the effort of learning a templating language.

Hi,
smarty simplies a lot of things by providing many plugins or built-in functions or "modifiers" etc...
it's useful to avoid to reinvent the wheel
after that the question is ; is it justify to use it for one project or another, is it not to heavy etc...
punbb plays the card of the lightness so i dont think smarty will be used wink

-my 2coins-

In my opinion a template engine (ie a clean separation of code and markup) would make updates a lot easier and allow for better layout customization.
I went through some frustrations scrolling through endless lines of php/html mix to find that line where I want to change the color of some text..
On the other hand this would mean more or less a complete rewrite of PunBB, who would want to do that? wink
Plus, smarty has a certain learning curve when you don't want to stick with the basics. It's a bit like a programming language of its own. They overdid it there a bit I think. I mean, what's the use of a template when it's full of programming code?

The German PunBB Site:
PunBB-forum.de

I went through some frustrations scrolling through endless lines of php/html mix to find that line where I want to change the color of some text

That's what CSS is for...

CSS is the answer to many, but surely not all, problems.
So, instead of packing that piece of text into a "span style=color:#something" I could also define a class for it in the css files and assign that.
But in either case I still have to find that bloody string! smile
That's what I meant, not that it's difficult to change a color= in general.

The German PunBB Site:
PunBB-forum.de