Topic: Charset help

Hi all,

I'm setting up punbb for a Korean community (I speak it some), but I'm totally lost and confused when it comes to to the correct charset to use. I can use the forum with Korean installed just fine using an English charset (iso-8859-1)... which shouldn't be the case, afaik (unless the headers are forcing it to utf-8 or something?).

Charsets just confuse the hell out of me (linking me to a page about it won't help -- tried that). So if one of you could straighten me out, I'd really appreciate it.

Check Maid maid service

Re: Charset help

Link to the site?

Smartys wrote:

Link to the site?

It's not up yet; I'm working on it locally.

Check Maid maid service

Then it's sort of difficult to determine what your particular situation is wink

Sorry, I dont know any other than 8859-I but you can try the unicodes if that are available for your coding.

Please visit my blog on
Free Game downloads for PSP

Smartys wrote:

Then it's sort of difficult to determine what your particular situation is wink

Ahhh, maybe I didn't make it clear enough. Sorry.

I'm having trouble understanding what the charset is for. PunBB is currently set to 8859-I and works perfectly fine with Korean, so what's it even there for if it changes nothing?

On the other hand, how do you change punbb's charset?

Check Maid maid service

The charset can be changed in lang/whatever language/common.php
In PunBB 1.3, we'll be using UTF-8 exclusively.

Now, as for what the charset is for, I'll quote Wikipedia
"A character encoding consists of a code that pairs a sequence of characters from a given character set (sometimes referred to as code page) with something else, such as a sequence of natural numbers, octets or electrical pulses, in order to facilitate the storage of text in computers and the transmission of text through telecommunication networks."
Basically, the character set you're using should be able to represent the character you want. Which means you should be using UTF-8 all the way for Korean text (eg: database tables, database connection, page charset).

Have a look at this thread. It should explain the main parts required for setting up utf-8.

http://punbb.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=16931