Topic: Can't get forum emailing to work

I'm very new to PunBB, just installed it last week. Loving it so far, however I can't seem to get the forum's email functionality working and I'm hoping someone from the the PunBB community could point me in the right direction to tracking down the problem I'm having.

Basically, emailing doesn't work, period. I'm pretty sure it's not a problem with my SMTP hosts, because if I configure them the same way using my email client, I'm able to send email perfectly fine. I've tried it with two different SMTP hosts, neither of which use SSL, but both of which use password authentication (.mac & godaddy). godaddy is where my forums are hosted, if that makes any difference. The email account I have setup with godaddy has SMTP Relay enabled. I've tried using both accounts with and without logins. The trend seems to be:

- with username/password: timeout error
- without username/password: "Couldn't get mail server response codes"

That's all the info I can think of. I figured it would be a simple SMTP config and away things would go, but I guess that's not the case. I'd really like to get it working with my godaddy email account so that the forum email address can have the same domain as the forums.

Please let me know if more info is required to solve the problem.

Re: Can't get forum emailing to work

A few more details after enabling debugging in the common.php file and editing the email.php file a little bit to spit out where exactly it's failing:

- godaddy says users can use ports 25, 80, or 3535 for the smtpout.secureserver.net server.
- if I try the default port 25: timeout getting the socket connection
- if I try port 80: "Couldn't get mail server response codes" (line 108 of email.php, called from line 138 - right before the authentication part, after connection established)
- if I try port 3535: timeout getting the socket connection

This doesn't tell me much, but maybe someone else can make something of it.

You'll want to use 25, since that's the port for SMTP

Smartys wrote:

You'll want to use 25, since that's the port for SMTP

See above post. 25 is throwing a timeout.

shyrich wrote:

See above post. 25 is throwing a timeout.

Then contact your host. The problem is at their end.

MattF wrote:

Then contact your host. The problem is at their end.

SMTP host? Or web host? I'm assuming you mean web hosting provider since I can use that SMTP host fine from my email client.

Indeed

Thanks for your input guys, much appreciated. I'll get in touch with them and see if they can help me out. I'll post back whether my problem gets solved or not.

So, turns out the emailing works just fine if I just if I leave the smtp server / username / password fields blank.