1 (edited by StevenBullen 2008-05-14 00:42)

Topic: PunBB 1.3 (Latest SVN)

Hi,

As i am waiting for 1.3 to be released before i rebuild pundemo.org, i thought i would keep it up to date with the latest svn for 1.3.

PunBB 1.3 - www.pundemo.org

Normal user: User / user

Admin user: Admin / admin

EDIT 2:::
Ok I have now moved the live demo back to www.pundemo.org.

Re: PunBB 1.3 (Latest SVN)

Nice. Thanks for that.

But grrrr - I notice that the punbb devs still aren't including the forum **category** in the navigational bread-crumbs when you are in a topic.

All you see is: Forum root > Forum Name, where you should see: Forum root > Forum category > Forum name.

Or in the case of your example forum: PunDemo.org - PunBB example site > Test category > Test forum.

The absence of this is as annoying in 1.3 as it was in 1.2.x. sad

Even if the forum category name in the breadcrumb trail wasn't actually a clickable link to anything in punBB, but just displayed the simple category name, it would still be valuable to know.

I am guessing it was changed on 1.2 in later releases?
Because this topic shows "Index » Show off » PunBB 1.3 (Latest svn)"..

Plus I need to put some info on the front page making it clear that this is for visual purposes only. At present the PunBB development team wont be taking Bugs/Exploits until after a first tester release.

Steve,

How do you get the Google ad to have rounded corners?

Oh, and all I get are html files, no forum.

please fix the url format. All the links are broken sad

6 (edited by StevenBullen 2007-11-29 15:34)

hcgtv wrote:

How do you get the Google ad to have rounded corners?

Here you go check this out. You probably just overlooked it. They have new YouTube ads out as well. wink
Google round / rounded corners...

hcgtv wrote:

Oh, and all I get are html files, no forum.

Doh! I did not even notice. I will check it out now. wink

EDIT:
Ok I checked it out and it did startle me to start with. But basically someone changed the URL formatting in the admin options and so it changed all the links. I have left the option in the page you can see it... but I have disabled the ability to change this option at present.

I do have mod_rewrite running on my server. So I might take a look into getting it up and running so makes no difference if someone changes it.

Plus... I am not 100% certain if they have all the code complete for the rewrite at the mo. Will have to check it out... or smartys can tell me. Either way... big_smile

StevenBullen wrote:

Here you go check this out. You probably just overlooked it. They have new YouTube ads out as well. wink

Dang, snuck up on me, never saw it - thanks.

StevenBullen wrote:

Plus... I am not 100% certain if they have all the code complete for the rewrite at the mo.

The mod rewrite stuff was complete, from my testing. So if you set up the .htaccess file, all would be fine.

hcgtv wrote:
StevenBullen wrote:

Dang, snuck up on me, never saw it - thanks.

StevenBullen wrote:

Plus... I am not 100% certain if they have all the code complete for the rewrite at the mo.

The mod rewrite stuff was complete, from my testing. So if you set up the .htaccess file, all would be fine.

No problem.

I will sort the rewrite out over the weekend then. smile

9 (edited by StevenBullen 2007-12-02 02:09)

Now on SVN revision 1117

Rewrite will be working by sunday people.

10 (edited by StevenBullen 2007-12-11 10:16)

Ok people a little update.

Revision update - 1149
Mod_Rewrite is now possible. It does not break the site down.
Also I have added an example extension. - Thanks elbekko wink

11 (edited by zef 2007-12-11 12:20)

The theme looks good to me. What bothers most is the new structure in the administration panel.
Although it's more structured and organized it's unnecessary. But that's a subject to one's viewpoint.

For a board like phpBB and alike it's makes more sense cuz they are jam packed with stuff punbb doesn't have nor need.
Punbb <1.3 is more then intuitive enough. I started using it a week ago and found everything at on look in the admin panel.
There was no looking or thinking under which category it might hide. It was just there at the first look. It was perfect.
And I'm saying this as someone who just isn't to much used to it, to accept a new style but as a novice who tried many forums in the last weeks.

There is a reason for people choosing pun before others. Don't loose that quality by going phpBB style. It was very well organized till now.. (kudos to rickard for that)

By the way, you can easily test all kind of forums here:
http://www.forum-software.org/

As a admin, user, moderator, and so on. I went for pun..

They say the installation of PunBB is "hard"...

Welcome to my WoW guild site, the Eternal Reach.

You can also visit Chita, a site built by me, a feral paradise for feline animals.

zef wrote:

The theme looks good to me. What bothers most is the new structure in the administration panel.
Although it's more structured and organized it's unnecessary. But that's a subject to one's viewpoint.

For a board like phpBB and alike it's makes more sense cuz they are jam packed with stuff punbb doesn't have nor need.
Punbb <1.3 is more then intuitive enough. I started using it a week ago and found everything at on look in the admin panel.
There was no looking or thinking under which category it might hide. It was just there at the first look. It was perfect.
And I'm saying this as someone who just isn't to much used to it, to accept a new style but as a novice who tried many forums in the last weeks.

There is a reason for people choosing pun before others. Don't loose that quality by going phpBB style. It was very well organized till now.. (kudos to rickard for that)

I've thougth the same thing for the past 1.5 years and never said anything.   Thanks zef for putting my thoughts to words.

Rob Ludlow 
www.Nifty-Stuff.com - Repository of all Stuff Nifty!
www.reviewum.com - Professor Ratings + Teacher Reviews

15 (edited by zef 2007-12-12 11:15)

Meowmeow wrote:

They say the installation of PunBB is "hard"...

That's exactly what I couldn't comprehend either.
There is nothing easier or harder by installing the other forums then pun.
Gotta be a "paid minus point" or the reviewer is a noob. But then again how would the installation
of the other forums be any easier?
1. Copy files in Folder
2. Start install form that folder..

zef wrote:

But then again how would the installation of the other forums be any easier?

There are several ways of doing that, the most common being the php loader (some people are allergic to FTP). But I don't remember any forum using this, or any other way that Pun doesn't.

1170 is so amazing!

You can also visit Chita, a site built by me, a feral paradise for feline animals.

18 (edited by StevenBullen 2007-12-24 10:30)

Well due to this comment on it...

This is a major update so it could go pear shaped. Be prepared for errors, bugs and glitches.
There will be problems with the style but I have the stylesheet update underway.

Will need to test before I go ahead.

EDIT: Ok I tested and it does have some problems. But I still updated anyway...
The biggest problem is that it does not show any forums in the board at present. Oh well... will await more updates. tongue

I reinstalled PunBB 1.3 in my laptop so I didn't get any problem on it.

Meowmeow wrote:

I reinstalled PunBB 1.3 in my laptop so I didn't get any problem on it.

What the forum worked fine?

The 1170 one. I installed it, and forums didn't disappear.

They disappear for administrators/moderators because the require call for header.php was moved, causing a query in there to preempt the unbuffered query in index.php. I just moved it back smile

I have now updated to 1178.

Cheers Smartys wink

The "prev_url" column is missing from a clean install. (only in the update.php file), so you can only get it working on an 1.2.x that is upgraded tongue

Disclaimer: No I wasn't posting a bug, just stating the facts tongue

But it's starting too take shape now I see, good job. smile

Post hoc ergo propter hoc

lol tongue
Fixed wink