Topic: spammers filling up user counts

ive got over 100 users now.. but only 6 are real.. the rest are spammers.. luckily you have the password email verification thing.

the bug im reporting is those users should not be in my system until they verify.. otherwise im going to end up with 1000's of fake users bogging down my system and loating my userbase stats

Re: spammers filling up user counts

thats not a bug, thats something you want!!!

dosnt seem like you have searched the forums wink

Sorry. Unactive due to personal life.

why would i need to search the forums? im not going to modify anything. i am reporting a bug with the end-user product here. the product has methods of intersecting bogus users but yet it still displays them. again, thank you for your helpful input matt1298

You state what YOU want. Not a general bug, the dev team knows about this (searching would of been usefull) and that the next version 1.3 has already upgraded the registration meathods to eliminate the risk of spammers.  (also searching),

Sorry. Unactive due to personal life.

Punbb, by its self has no protection that is why there are mod for you as the user to install. maybe 1.3 will have some of the mods installed in it.
But it is the end user to install any mod from http://punres.org to there punbb forum. If you ask for help we will help. this is not a bogus or anything.. IF you ask we will help or even report a bug and it normally fixed with that day... and a release is open for download.

Q

My stuff or my style might sux, but atleast I'm willing to help when I can.
Don't be stupid and help ! We are the stupid one's !!!

Moved. The feature works the way it was intended to. The fact is doesn't do the job you want effectively doesn't make it a bug.

ok wink

kevinnading: How else would you suggest the users be stored efficiently?
Non-verified users have their own group ID, 32000, which can be used to identify them. You can easily write a script to delete members who don't activate within an hour or a day or a year, I've seen people do it.

Smartys wrote:

kevinnading: How else would you suggest the users be stored efficiently?
Non-verified users have their own group ID, 32000, which can be used to identify them. You can easily write a script to delete members who don't activate within an hour or a day or a year, I've seen people do it.

smarty, is that script on punres? haha...

I don't think so, the code was posted to a topic. It was a cronjob and not a particularly well written one (in terms of using PunBB code, etc), but it worked. wink

that kewl....better yet have it delete a user if they dont post within 15days..... that would be funny.....

Q

I do it manually every month via phpmyadmin

very good smarty, maybe you guys might want to implement an automated prune option where upon new user(so not to deal with cron jobs) it prunes non-verfied users that have been there a certain period of time or even an option of displaying them in the total user count and latest new user. as far as storing them more efficiently.. personally id have new users in their own seperate table and not a part of the active forum system until they have verified, but thats just my opinion. the forums work awesome.. many thanks to all who have contributed! id love to contribute but im on so many other projects already that i want to keep this program clean for easy updates which is why i dont simply change/fix these little things and i post the suggestions/problems here. i welcome more trolls to try to feed on me but be forewarned.. i might be new on these forums but im definately not new to the internet wink

yemgi wrote:

I do it manually every month via phpmyadmin

another good idea.. maybe give a button somewhere that admin's can simply press to "delete bogus signups"

as it is i have to go through the userlist and try to choose which ones i think are bogus and remove them.. my point is it should be easier.. thats all

kevinnading wrote:

very good smarty, maybe you guys might want to implement an automated prune option where upon new user(so not to deal with cron jobs) it prunes non-verfied users that have been there a certain period of time or even an option of displaying them in the total user count and latest new user.

That's an interesting idea for an extension smile

kevinnading wrote:

as far as storing them more efficiently.. personally id have new users in their own seperate table and not a part of the active forum system until they have verified, but thats just my opinion.

Then not only are you duplicating schema but you are also still storing the data. It takes up just as much room. There is no advantage to storing the data separately wink

kevinnading wrote:

maybe you guys might want to implement an automated prune option where upon new user(so not to deal with cron jobs) it prunes non-verfied users that have been there a certain period of time or even an option of displaying them in the total user count and latest new user.

Cron and the proper db management tools are by far the best solution. UI's are an idle option.

kevinnading wrote:

id love to contribute but im on so many other projects already that i want to keep this program clean for easy updates which is why i dont simply change/fix these little things and i post the suggestions/problems here. i welcome more trolls to try to feed on me but be forewarned.. i might be new on these forums but im definately not new to the internet wink

Why would we want to waste our time? We do have lives and interesting things to do, thankyou.

MattF wrote:

Cron and the proper db management tools are by far the best solution. UI's are an idle option.

hey MattF, I appreciate your input on this matter. Just wondering though.. wouldnt having to use system admin tools(crontab) and direct modification of the DB defeat the overall purpose of punbb? correct me if im wrong but isnt the point of punbb is to be simpler and lighter than the other bb's out there?

wink

18 (edited by MattF 2007-12-21 13:38)

It's not defeating the purpose at all. Any form of plugin/admin tool/script has to be written. If it's a mod, you can't always guarantee exactly how it's going to work, or how reliably. Admin tools are supplied with your db for a reason. Cron is always the best option for automated running of anything. UI tools have a use for people who aren't comfortable with shell/command line, but true dexterity and functionality are always obtained via the latter rather than the former.

Why not using admin panel, the user management plugin?  That's delete the user with 0 posts.

Because that's not automatic

21 (edited by quaker 2008-01-18 18:19)

qie wrote:

Why not using admin panel, the user management plugin?  That's delete the user with 0 posts.

what if users want to just read topics instead of posting a reply.. u will kill your membership that way..

Q

OH..just open your forum viewed by guest .
smile