Topic: Hack/Mod Question guests and editing.

Hey, before I start from scratch I was wondering if anyone has made a mod/hack to allow 'Guest' users to edit their own posts. I was looking for something along the lines of the guest had to supply the email address used in the post being edited so the board can check against that and allow the edit if they matched. The goal is a board that will basically be everyone posting as a guest with some advanced functionality like editing their own posts.

Thanks
-Erik

Re: Hack/Mod Question guests and editing.

I have been looking for something very similar. I am building an internal intranet. Need guest only just submit e-mail and post what you want.

Re: Hack/Mod Question guests and editing.

Johanan wrote:

I have been looking for something very similar. I am building an internal intranet. Need guest only just submit e-mail and post what you want.

Then you're probably better off with a searchable mailing list or a wiki (depending on what you're really trying to do with the setup) than a forum. An email address, which is typically a public piece of information, is not good to use as the sole means of identifying a user. In the case of the editing idea suggested in the first post, anyone who knows the person's email address could edit his/her posts. In your case, there's no good way to track who actually posted a comment, which leaves the system open for abuse by malicious employees. IMO, you would be better off having everyone register (or automatically generating accounts for them using their email addresses) then relying on an email address as a form of security.
But if you want to use PunBB that way, you certainly can. Just tell all your users that their names as guests should be their email address (or mandate the email field and let them fill in whatever they want for name). Set up the forum to allow guest posting, and tada! smile