Topic: A strange bug in an extension

Hi.
I've developped an extension here but there is a bug which has been reported to me that i don't know what to do.
The extension uses GeSHi to highlight a source code form a post when users put it between the bbcode tag [Code:<language code>] and [/Code].
The bug appears when there is more than 1 posts in a topic: the first post is displayed (in viewtopic.php) but not the others. And we can see that there is more than 1 post in the topic because we see the number of posts in the topic in the first post.
I don't understand english very well so i'll post the code in my manifest.xml file here for who wants to help me:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>

<extension engine="1.0">
  <id>pungeshi</id>
  <title>PunGeSHi (GeSHi for Punbb 1.3)</title>
  <version>0.96</version>
  <description>DESCRIPTION OF THE EXTENSION</description>
  <author> ME</author>
  <minversion>1.3 Beta</minversion>
  <maxtestedon>1.3 Beta</maxtestedon>

<note type="install"> NOTES </note>

<install><![CDATA[

// ONLY FOR A SIMPLE VERIFICATION, I PUT THE PARAMETER o_pungeshi IN THE TABLE config
    $rslt = $db->query('SELECT conf_value FROM '.$db->prefix."config WHERE conf_name='o_pungeshi' ") or error(__FILE__, __LINE__);
    if(!$db->fetch_assoc($rslt)) 
        $db->query('INSERT INTO '.$db->prefix."config VALUES('o_pungeshi', '1')");
    else
        $notices[] = 'Le parametre o_pungeshi existe déjà dans la table "'.$db->prefix.'config" de cette base de donnée. Cette extension pourrait ne pas fonctionner correctement.';
  ]]></install>

<uninstall><![CDATA[

// TO UNINSTALL THE EXTENSION, I REMOVE THE PARAMETER o_pungeshi FROM THE DATABASE
    $rslt = $db->query('SELECT conf_value FROM '.$db->prefix."config WHERE conf_name='o_pungeshi' ") or error(__FILE__, __LINE__);
    if($db->fetch_assoc($rslt)) 
        $db->query('DELETE FROM '.$db->prefix."config WHERE conf_name='o_pungeshi' LIMIT 1");
  ]]></uninstall>

<hooks>

// THE FIRST "hook" THAT I EXPLOIT IS IN viewtopic.php, JUST BEFORE POSTS ARE DISPLAYED (IN THE "while" LOOP)
    <hook id="vt_row_pre_display"><![CDATA[

// A SMALL TEST...
    if(!$db->fetch_assoc($rslt))
        exit;
    if (!defined('PUN_ROOT'))
        define('PUN_ROOT', './');

// WE LOAD geshi LIBRARY
    require_once PUN_ROOT.'extensions/pungeshi/geshi/geshi.php';

// HERE WE REPLACE ALL POSTS WHICH CONTAIN THE BBCODE TAG WITH THE HIGHLIGHTED CODE
    if(isset($cur_post['message'])) {

// That's the baby 
        preg_match("#\[Code:([a-zA-Z0-9_-]*)\](.*)\[/Code\]#sU", $cur_post['message'], $infos);
        if(isset($infos['1']) && isset($infos['2']) && isset($pun_page['message'])) {
            $geshi_code =& new GeSHi($infos['2'], $infos['1']);
            $geshi_code->enable_line_numbers(GESHI_NORMAL_LINE_NUMBERS);
            $highlight_code = '<div class="codebox"><strong>Code: '.strtoupper($infos['1']).'</strong><br />'.$geshi_code->parse_code().'</div>';
            $pun_page['message'] = preg_replace('#\[Code:([a-zA-Z0-9_-]*)\](.*)\[/Code\]#sU', $highlight_code, $pun_page['message']);
        }
    }
    ]]></hook>

// THE SECOND "hook" THAT I EXPLOIT IS post.php, JUST BEFORE POSTS ARE DISPLAYED (IN THE "while" LOOP) FOR PREVIEW

// I USE EXACTLY THE SAME CODE BUT I DON'T UNDERSTAND WHY IT DOESN'T WORK IN viewtopic.php AND HERE IT WORKS

<hook id="po_topic_review_row_pre_display"><![CDATA[
    $rslt2 = $db->query('SELECT conf_value FROM '.$db->prefix."config WHERE conf_name='o_pungeshi' ") or error(__FILE__, __LINE__);
    if(!$db->fetch_assoc($rslt2))
        exit;
    if (!defined('PUN_ROOT'))
        define('PUN_ROOT', './');
    require_once PUN_ROOT.'extensions/pungeshi/geshi/geshi.php';

if(isset($cur_post['message'])) {

// Run it again
        preg_match("#\[Code:([a-zA-Z0-9_-]*)\](.*)\[/Code\]#sU", $cur_post['message'], $infos2);
        if(isset($infos2['1']) && isset($infos2['2']) && isset($pun_page['message'])) {
            $geshi_code2 =& new GeSHi($infos2['2'], $infos2['1']);
            $geshi_code2->enable_line_numbers(GESHI_NORMAL_LINE_NUMBERS);
            $highlight_code2 = '<div class="codebox"><strong>Code: '.strtoupper($infos2['1']).'</strong><br />'.$geshi_code2->parse_code().'</div>';
            $pun_page['message'] = preg_replace('#\[Code:([a-zA-Z0-9_-]*)\](.*)\[/Code\]#sU', $highlight_code2, $pun_page['message']);
        }
    }
    ]]></hook>
  </hooks>
</extension>
Join us now and share the software, Hackers you'll be FREE!

Re: A strange bug in an extension

I believe vt_row_pre_display is within the loop, which is run as an unbuffered query, which means you can't run a query within it.
You would want to, anyway, or your query would be run multiple times.

Ok. I tried to delete the "verification" query and it works perfectly now. Thank you very much for your help but i want to understand something: I had put the same code in the hook po_topic_review_row_pre_display (before) and it worked even when I put the query in the loop. Do you know why?

Because that was not using an unbuffered query. wink
However, buffered query or not, it is never a good idea to run a query in a loop.

Ok. (I think i understand what you want to say but i'm going to search the meaning of "unbuffered query" in french wink ).
Thank you

http://php.net/manual/fr/function.mysql … -query.php