Topic: taking it furthen then the hooks do.

I'm not sure if i talked about this before.

The new extension system is in my opinion the killer feature in punbb 1.3.

Personally I am very enthusiastic about it, but i thought about a limitation of it.
It only allows an extension to add code.
Removing or replacing code is not possible.

I think in the long term this might be the next limitation punbb faces. By now the extension support will kick ass and allow a lot of cool stuff that no other forum engine would support. But in the future the need to remove or replace code might show up.

A cool solution that I can think of would be wrapping every script in an xml tree and ad an extra xml file to aggregate all the scripts. Then extensions could reach all the code. Just like in firefox and other xul aplications.

What do you think of this?
Will code replacement/removal be a big feature in the feature?
Is there any other ways to approach this?
A solution like the one i pointed, would it be an alternative in a remote future release?

Re: taking it furthen then the hooks do.

An easier approach is to remove features from core and put them in extensions instead.

pedrotuga: I'm not sure what the performance hit of what you're describing is, but if you're talking about parsing lots of XML on the fly for every pageview, I think that would make things slow.
intedinmamma: Indeed.

Not necessarily a lot, but yes... it would require xml or other data tree notation flavour parsing.

Maybe when parsing is considered a fast process :s