Re: Development team annoucement

hcgtv: Since when did open source mean "software that nobody could own", open source is not about ownership.

hcgtv wrote:

Then it hit me today, what prevents you guys from selling FluxBB to the next bidder?

I think its pretty obvious this is not our plan, but anyway, do you really think something should prevent us?

MattF wrote:

You would be (a|the) Dev rather than a user. smile

Right, there in lies the quandary.

Release, and you're at the same state as FluxBB. You want to be a dev but alas, we have users now. These pesky people, they ask the same damn questions, god don't they read tfm. Then, it's not fun anymore.

Connorhd wrote:
hcgtv wrote:

Then it hit me today, what prevents you guys from selling FluxBB to the next bidder?

I think its pretty obvious this is not our plan, but anyway, do you really think something should prevent us?

No, not at all, you have every right to take GPL code and do what you desire with it.

Like I do.

hcgtv wrote:
Connorhd wrote:

We hope that everyone can check out our site and that those who wish to do so will register and become a part of our new community.

I did: http://fluxbb.org/forums/user/15/

It's been a fun week, nostalgic to say the least.

As Connor said, nothing physically or legally. However, I would estimate that doing something like that would be a betrayal of trust large enough to kill the community, and thus not something we would ever care to do (even if we were motivated by large sums of money).

hcgtv wrote:
Paul wrote:

The fact they choose to go their own way knowing that in practice they could still end up providing PunBB with all the code for nothing should tell you something.

Paul,

How many of you on the original coding team raised their hand and said, "Hell no, we won't sell"?

Hindsight is 20-20. This setup could have worked out very well and it turned out it didn't. And many of us agreed to the deal in the first place, even if we had some reservations/weren't particularly enthusiastic about it, because of how it was presented to us. You know that: you were a part of that conversation. The fact that you make me bring it up makes me think that your point there was, more than anything else, to try to discredit us. Not very nice. wink

hcgtv wrote:
Connorhd wrote:
hcgtv wrote:

No, not at all, you have every right to take GPL code and do what you desire with it.

Like I do.

Indeed, you do. So if you don't trust us and want to fork, go ahead and do so. If we sell the code again, go ahead and fork. Please, be our guest. Just do us all a favor and stop it with the FUD until we do something shady that deserves it? Please? smile

hcgtv wrote:

Then, it's not fun anymore.

That is what makes the difference between a dev|coder|programmer and a user. smile

Smartys wrote:

Just do us all a favor and stop it with the FUD until we do something shady that deserves it? Please? smile

Sure thing Neal, just because you said please.

I knew that would work! Now, I'm off to sell some code! I mean, I'm off to code! (Damn, strikethrough BBCode would be so useful right now).

I have changed to fluxbb ;D
Bot answer me of this, what will happen to punbb and Rickard?

PunBB, the FluxBB of tomorrow - today!

grudon66 wrote:

I have changed to fluxbb ;D

We'll miss you, say hello to Connor for us.

Okey...

PunBB, the FluxBB of tomorrow - today!