Topic: Question : Group relationship

All,

I have set the forum up with 2 categories at present and several forums under it.  I have then set-up a group per forum, what I need to do is assign users to multiple groups as some users will need access to more than one group but other users should not have access to several forums.

Re: Question : Group relationship

For every forum in category you can change permissions for every user-group. Go to <FORUM_URL>/admin/forums.php. Press the "Edit" link next to the forum you want to change group-permissions for. For every group you can allow a user to read forum, to reply on posts and to post topics.

Not sure if this will work.

I prob not communicated what I am trying to do.

Category 1

• Forum1

• Forum2

• Forum3

• Forum4

Category 2

• Forum1

• Forum2

• Forum3

• Forum4

All members can see all forums under Category 2, the problem is the forums under Category 1.

One group (top man) needs access to all so that is easy.  The problem comes here, some members will need access to multiple forums under Category 1, which I can not set-up a static group for them as it will depend on what they do.

Member a needs access to forum 2 & 3 under cat 1 and all forums under 2
Member b needs access to forum 4 under cat 1 and all forums under 2
Member c needs access to forum 1 under cat 1 and all forums under 2
etc.

How would one go about this.

Does this make sence ?

Yes it doesn't neutral

6 (edited by ganes 2008-11-16 00:00)

i notice that 'group' feature in 1.3 core is missing a simple and basic thing: user-group management. I'm talking about the ability of admin to change user group manually and also the "multigroup" ability as Bach needs.

nevertheless, I'm happy with 1.3 tongue

PHPLizardo wrote:

Yes it doesn't neutral

Can you tell me which bit do you not understand and I will try and explain more.

PHPLizardo wrote:

Yes it doesn't neutral

[Category 1]
(Private Thread for Group A)
(Private Thread for Group B)
(Public Thread A)
(Public Thread B)

[Category 2]
(Public Thread A)
(Public Thread B)

On my forum, we have several play-by-post games running where each game is only visible to the players participating in that game.  It is not uncommon, however, to have users participate in multiple games.  Since PunBB only allows one group per person, it's not practical to create a new group for every combination of categories and/or threads a user might be privy to viewing:

View Categories 1
View Categories 2
View Categories 3
View Categories 4
View Categories 1, 2
View Categories 1, 3
View Categories 1, 4
View Categories 2, 3
View Categories 2, 4
View Categories 3, 4
View Categories 1, 2, 3
View Categories 1, 2, 4

It would very quickly get out of hand with only three or four categories and couple private threads, not to mention applying all those different combinations of groups to each and every category and private thread.  It would be easiest if User A, who is participating in games in [Category 1] and [Category 2] to simply be a member of groups View Category 1 and View Category 2.

It would greatly simply permissions management.

(VERY old bump, I know, but this is a problem I've run into as well, and I dunno if it's been addressed yet or understood what the problem is.)

Warhaven wrote:
PHPLizardo wrote:

Yes it doesn't neutral

[Category 1]
(Private Thread for Group A)
(Private Thread for Group B)
(Public Thread A)
(Public Thread B)

[Category 2]
(Public Thread A)
(Public Thread B)

On my forum, we have several play-by-post games running where each game is only visible to the players participating in that game.  It is not uncommon, however, to have users participate in multiple games.  Since PunBB only allows one group per person, it's not practical to create a new group for every combination of categories and/or threads a user might be privy to viewing:

View Categories 1
View Categories 2
View Categories 3
View Categories 4
View Categories 1, 2
View Categories 1, 3
View Categories 1, 4
View Categories 2, 3
View Categories 2, 4
View Categories 3, 4
View Categories 1, 2, 3
View Categories 1, 2, 4

It would very quickly get out of hand with only three or four categories and couple private threads, not to mention applying all those different combinations of groups to each and every category and private thread.  It would be easiest if User A, who is participating in games in [Category 1] and [Category 2] to simply be a member of groups View Category 1 and View Category 2.

It would greatly simply permissions management.