1 (edited by abclf 2008-12-11 01:03)

Topic: Disable «new messages» if not new messages

Hi people,

Something I dislike here, and that might not be too difficult to alter I guess, is the fact there is a «new messages» link even if one got zero unreaden message.
May I suggest to change this using a true query : either the number (news messages (0)) either sentence (no new message).
More, my opinion is that it would be more informative and less deceptive if it is showed, for each link, each number. Something like :

Thank you !

Re: Disable «new messages» if not new messages

abclf wrote:

Something like

It would be nice but every number requires minimum a query to the database. One can cache these values but it should be an extension. Anyway I think this feature contradicts PunBB foundations to be a fast and simple forum.

"New messages" is a pun_pm link. You can easily modify it:

'New link'                => 'New messages',
    'New link active'        => '<strong>New messages (%d)</strong>',
    'New link full'            => '<strong>New messages (!)</strong>',

First value stands for no new messages, second value stands for some new messages, third value is used when the inbox is full.

Thank you Parpalak, I agree it is a solution then to alter the name of the pun_pm link if no new messages.

Please can you confirm a new message is an unreaden message (then one has a new message link active until he truly read his messages).

abclf wrote:

Please can you confirm a new message is an unreaden message (then one has a new message link active until he truly read his messages).

Yes.