Re: Ajax framework

I'd love to be part of this, too.
Some more ideas -
* UI like UltraExplorer
* multi column
* related posts being highlighted
* realigning posts
Lot of visual improvement and eye candy, actually.
Anyone else interested in coding this? (Since I think I'm no great coder, peer review of code or something like that would be very helpful...)
I'm looking to do this "part as i work"...

ok cool lets start on this smile

'm currently doing an oo interface to punbb, which will help us a lot in getting the data dynamicly smile

we should start building a list of stuff that we want to have included ...

~Cereal
I've finally learned what "upward compatible" means. It means we get to keep all our old mistakes.
The limits of language are the limits of one's world.

28 (edited by forumfreak 2009-01-29 12:42)

Shorter: http://tinyurl.com/punbb-ajax

• Update :
    It seems some features are already present as mods. Probably we need some marketing and testing wink Italics does not look good. big_smile Also, little more space management ... by grouping - since timestamp is not yet crucial in this post
    Update 2 : going by the users' feature requests and mods, the basic forum layout itself can be changed, like a mind map... although I don't think users will like it. Not serious, just thinking...

• Esuperdog :
    request: keyboard shortcuts such as
    GI - go to index
    GPM - go to private messages
    NT - create new topic
    S - search
    HT - hide this topic
    A bit like Gmail shortcuts

• Garciat:
    I don't think you really need AJAX for that, just JS and absolute-positioned boxes.

• Utchin :
    http://dzineblog.com/2008/10/30-tooltips-scripts.html

• Cereal :
    1- have all content loading in the background, this way only one pageload is required, once the first page is loaded all otehr requests will be done async with ajax.
    2- add some visiual effects like fading, hovers, .... and stuff like that to the forum
    3- basically anything thats used in web 2.0 and even web 3.0

• KeyDog:
    If I hover above a users name I would like information like no. of posts, registered and his/her avatar to appear in a box

• A list being populated as one enters search criteria....
    Or forum board auto refreshing latest posts info...
    http://jqueryfordesigners.com/demo/coda-bubble.html

• just example - I now have a forum with 3 categories and 9 forums total. I'd like to be able to set it so that when users come to page they just see  3 categories (maybe total number of forums and total posts)   THEN they click on category and the forums show/expand below it.

• I've found this (macminds link below) forum using some mod, js for punbb ... to allow expanding of their cats . (javascript  toggletcat)
    Now is that the best way to do such a thing? Is there a performance issue or other limitations to such an approach, or setting it.
    -->   http://www.macminds.net/index.php?p=forum    <---  (click on the minus on the RIGHT of forum topic there)
    considering search: there i really think/can imagine ajax could bring nice effects
    EDIT: plus that macminds has some hover effects going...
    EDIT2: http://punbb.informer.com/forums/topic/ … ne-status/    ?????

• assuming i have a forum open - an active one - and i'm monitoring posts as an admin - it would be great to have the cells showing posts auto refresh - using something ajax'y ? kind of like screens you see betting sites or stock quoting sites use?

• Cereal:
    yeah and you can take it a step further, in the inital pageload on the 3 cats are pulled from the db, when you expand the specifick cat, only the forums that belong to this cat are pulled from teh db, so we get some speed improments.

• (Quoted):
    Enhancement: Smart AJAX auto-refresh on the conversation view, based on how long ago the most recent post was.
    What this means is that if the conversation has had a recent post, esoTalk will use AJAX to check for new activity every few seconds, increasing the period between checks the longer the conversation remains without new activity. Results: decreased server load while AJAX-loading new posts with less delay.

• forumfreak:
    * UI like UltraExplorer - like new KDE start menu
    * multi column - moving by left/right/top/bottom border click - not just up/down scroll
    * related posts being highlighted - by tags, by user click (like literals in IDEs),
    * realigning posts - when the OO interface is working, we can allow people to "bunch" posts together which user thinks are related. Tagging will help users make "bunches" - but this means del.icio.us extensions and API can be used.
    Again, some things already done by mods I think smile
    * If I understand correctly, the new interface might have to make sure that all info in the DB can be broken down into logically atomic bits and from an API one can extract whatever is needed and then any View layer to display in whatever way other progammers want.

As more features are discussed, they can be added to this list so that people do not have to scroll back and forth for the crux of the discussion. If any point of view has been left out of summary, please point out by post or PM smile
Bring on the ideas big_smile

29 (edited by Cereal 2009-01-28 07:20)

hmm there is a wiki for something like this smile

http://punbb.informer.com/wiki/ajaxframework

but to not write all code duplicate i think we first need a simple way to read and write to the db smile
thats why i'm building an oo inetrface to easely do this smile

~Cereal
I've finally learned what "upward compatible" means. It means we get to keep all our old mistakes.
The limits of language are the limits of one's world.

Cereal wrote:

hmm there is a wiki for something like this http://punbb.informer.com/wiki/ajaxframework
Last edited by Cereal (Today 12:50:13)

If I understand correctly, are you working on the wiki to MVC it, so that any wiki page can changed from inside this forum?
That sounds to be a genuinely disruptive idea - having web apps of all types to interact with each other in parts rather than embed iframes and hack it up.
But iframes are already used for ads. This brings many security complications, I have heard.
Or is it that you're working on OO-fying the PunBB db?
To be honest, I did not get what you meant...

@forumfreak: good effort on the list - makes sense to see what people want at a glance
but
why don't you put it in a seperate post "ajax features wanted list"

everytime someone adds something from now on your list just goes into page 2 of x eventually?

next wish: private messages auto refreshing big_smile

and i think cereal meant oo fying Punbb db....

KeyDog wrote:

@forumfreak: good effort on the list - makes sense to see what people want at a glance but why don't you put it in a seperate post "ajax features wanted list"

Then that post will grow over to the next page. So, we'll make the rough draft here and then post it over there - at least that looks ok to me right now