Topic: smilies don't work without spacebar first

some of my users can't figure out smilies because they only work if you put a space in front of the smilie. it would be good if the smilie code that is outputted included a blank space before the smile

Re: smilies don't work without spacebar first

on a sidenote: why don't you host your videos (evids) yourself and embed them?
you can use either DivX  or FLV Player big_smile so .avi (divx), .mov, .mp4
would save sending users away from site to blip.tv
just a thought

also your "ads" on the bottom of forum .... different font intended? smile

you're right on the smilies though, would be good if it was automatic.

KeyDog wrote:

you're right on the smilies though, would be good if it was automatic.

What happens if someone drops a link in a post, i.e: example.com:8080?

I wonder which is more common
people posting adresses like that
or
people quickly replying thankyou:)

or similiar

and shouldn't any such example.com:8000 be http://.... and then automatically caught as url's?

5 (edited by The_Fiddler 2009-01-25 00:52)

What if you whack a few together like I sometimes do. I guess if you preview first before sending you will see something has gone astray after the first smiley and potentially fix the problem before sending like below

smileneutralsadbig_smileyikeswinkhmmtonguelolmadrollcool

Um as I was doing this example I noticed that if the smilies are not the same there is no problem, it appears to be if its the same smilie over and over again.

smile:):):):)
neutral:|:|:|:|
sad:(:(:(:(
big_smile:D:D:D:D
yikes:o:o:o:o
wink;);););)
hmm:/:/:/:/
tongue:P:P:P:P
lol:lol::lol::lol::lol:
mad:mad::mad::mad::mad:
roll:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
cool:cool::cool::cool::cool:

I also noticed that my 1.2 board doesn't have the issue if its the same smilie over and over again. It does though have the space being needed after a word.

KeyDog wrote:

I wonder which is more common
people posting adresses like that
or
people quickly replying thankyou:)

or similiar

and shouldn't any such example.com:8000 be http://.... and then automatically caught as url's?

It was an example, nothing more. You cannot create a parser which will cater for every muppet on the planet. Create a fix for one thing and something else is liable to break. Smilies are, at the end of the day, the least important factor. If users cannot be arsed to use a space bar, they can blame no-one but themselves.

However, having the javascript smilie insertion code on the board not add a space before the smilie text upon insertion is just bloody sloppy coding. That should be done regardless. People entering smilie text directly, however, as pointed out above, really need to take care of their own spacing. smile

You cannot create a parser which will cater for every muppet on the planet.

remains debateable who the muppets are; people using smilies or ...

Smilies are, at the end of the day, the least important factor.

in your view maybe. question is : are you the typical user/installer of fresh 1.3 ? I highly doubt it!

However, having the javascript smilie insertion code on the board not add a space before the smilie text upon insertion is just bloody sloppy coding.

so basically you agree it should be done by devs ?

KeyDog wrote:

so basically you agree it should be done by devs ?

Depends which part you are referring to. smile

Having the parser automatically detect and compensate for every possible theoretical combination: No.

Writing the javascript smilie insertion function so that it works as it should and correctly: Yes.

If users cannot be arsed to use a space bar, they can blame no-one but themselves.

It isn't that they can't be arsed, they simply don't know HOW to do it so I get lots of PMs and new topics asking why smilies are broken when all that is needed is a space bar to parsed before each smilie code.

esupergood wrote:

It isn't that they can't be arsed, they simply don't know HOW to do it so I get lots of PMs and new topics asking why smilies are broken when all that is needed is a space bar to parsed before each smilie code.

Have you noted my posts above, perchance? Unless you are referring to how the javascript function ought to be inserting a preceding space, the parser cannot be expected to understand all nuances and exceptions. There is a fine line between functionality and trying to cater for muppets.