Topic: being attack..need emergency assitant

H.

i'm holding a punbb forum and expereienced with attack i think ,because i feel it's so slow i even can not open one page,after i close my forum or change it to mainteance mode,then the site got fast again!

so i think i am in problem.dud

Re: being attack..need emergency assitant

Try to view logs of your server. Maybe you will see something unusual.

I'd be more worried about the link in your sig with provocative images of apparently underage girls.

A simple first step is to look at you logs, & find where the problem requests are coming from.

Then add the IP address or IP range to your .htaccess in your site root or forum root so that Apache can just deny these guys:

<Files *>
Order Allow,Deny
Allow from all

Deny from 59.124.144.0/22
Deny from 91.201.244.0/22
Deny from 193.108.250.0/23
</Files>

etc

Obviously customize the addresses to suit your experience.

If you are able to do so, try blocking your attacker's IP address at your firewall too.

esupergood wrote:

I'd be more worried about the link in your sig with provocative images of apparently underage girls.

Huh? There doesn't appear to be anything suss or CP about his site at all.  It is very tame.

sirena wrote:
esupergood wrote:

Huh? There doesn't appear to be anything suss or CP about his site at all.  It is very tame.

He's British. Most of them are scared of looking at their own shadow these days. It's mainly thanks to all of the anal retentive laws we have in this country.

i just have a Cpanel permission by my host.so i would check it,but i don't know where to look at it,I'm tring to do this

8 (edited by sirena 2009-03-01 06:38)

If you are using cPanel, you can usually look under one of the Stats icons to see (or download) your raw access logs. From there you will get information on who has been visiting your site and the pages they requested.

Once you know the IP address of someone you want to block, you can then put that address into your .htaccess file so that Apache will then deny them access to your site.

The .htaccess file lives in your site root (and also there maybe a copy in your forum root). To make the block site wide, edit the .htaccess in your site root either via FTP or your File Manager under cPanel.

cPanel also has (usually) something like an 'IP Deny' icon to do this as well, but since all it does it just edit .htaccess anyhow it is easier to do it yourself directly.

You may also like to look into the recent discussion on this forum about using a cache on your forum, like jpcache to help deal with high levels of guest traffic.

http://punbb.informer.com/forums/topic/ … for-punbb/

It won't block the attacker but may help your site perform better under stress.

thanks Sirena