Topic: Search results...

Hello,
How do I display search results for selected keywords on my site? I really don't understand this search procedure... any help?
Best regards,
FlashT

Re: Search results...

It looks like it lists the topics found. I don't find that very useful as it can be a very long way from what you're looking for. Actually, I find that completely useless. Perhaps I don't understand either. smile

This is actually a problem with local search on most forums. Unless it is a private forum, there's not really any need to have a local search function anyway since, if it is a public forum, Google does a much better job at finding stuff. I would personally prefer to see search as an extension.

FlashT wrote:

Hello,
How do I display search results for selected keywords on my site? I really don't understand this search procedure... any help?
Best regards,
FlashT

Could you please describe what features you'd like to have in the search and what is currently wrong with it?

I can't speak for FlashT but in my case it is indeed a case of not understanding. I've tested the built in search some more and what I missed was that to get what I wanted I had to click "Display results 'As posts'". When I do that it actually works very well.

I just did that to find this thread and it brought me right here. So ... no problem as far as I'm concerned. smile

5 (edited by trenchnz 2010-06-01 01:24)

Sorry to necro a week old thread, but I recently decided to give punBB a go after being a long time phpBB3 user, and so far the only thing I have seen in the way of functionality that I miss, is that the search system only goes to topic headers, and will not drill right down inot individual words in posts.

Is there an addon/hack to make this possible?
Thanks heaps.

trenchnz wrote:

. . . the only thing I have seen in the way of functionality that I miss, is that the search system only goes to topic headers, and will not drill right down inot individual words in posts.

Did you mean that it does not show the specific line in a post? That would certainly be handy for very long posts. If you check "Display results 'As posts'" then it shows which post contains the words. However, the default is "Display results 'As topics'" which only goes to topic headers - that was the mistake that I made. smile

I think I have got my head around this now. I needed to stop, and read the darn instructions. Sorry for being a pain in the butt.

The question is:

I would like to pernamently add 5 most recent posts with selected keyword to my site. How do I do that? How do I make a search and display results myself?