1 (edited by Wernham Hogg 2011-08-17 06:42)

Topic: Problems installing forum. Cannot write to cache.

Hi everyone,

Trying to install a forum but got an error message that i cannot write to cache.
The exact error message sais: "Unable to write configuration cache file to cache directory. Please make sure PHP has write access to the directory 'cache'."
Find some info and a solution on 2.4 in the faq here: http://punbb.informer.com/docs/faq.html#faq2_4

So im trying to do as it sais on 2.3 in the FAQ.
I connect to the server from my FTP (filezilla), and go to the cache folder and change attribute on it to 777. It is currently on 666.
When i click ok, everything seems fine but then when i check back to see if the changes has been made its still on 666.
So if i go to the root folder "/", and check attributes on it, its on "xxx". I try to change it to 777 and apply it for all catergories/files beneith it aswell, but it cant be changed.

Any ideas on what i can do to solve this?
Im not hosting the server myself. Could it be that only they can change attribute?

Re: Problems installing forum. Cannot write to cache.

Wernham Hogg wrote:

Hi everyone,

Trying to install a forum but got an error message that i cannot write to cache.
The exact error message sais: "Unable to write configuration cache file to cache directory. Please make sure PHP has write access to the directory 'cache'."
Find some info and a solution on 2.4 in the faq here: http://punbb.informer.com/docs/faq.html#faq2_4

So im trying to do as it sais on 2.3 in the FAQ.
I connect to the server from my FTP (filezilla), and go to the cache folder and change attribute on it to 777. It is currently on 666.
When i click ok, everything seems fine but then when i check back to see if the changes has been made its still on 666.
So if i go to the root folder "/", and check attributes on it, its on "xxx". I try to change it to 777 and apply it for all catergories/files beneith it aswell, but it cant be changed.

Any ideas on what i can do to solve this?
Im not hosting the server myself. Could it be that only they can change attribute?

Problem solved.

Hosting company changed so i could write to it.