Topic: first four characters deleted

Hi, first off great software! But I'm having a major problem with 1.0, each time I submit a page in the admin section, for example options, it deletes the first four characters from every field eg. board name, email etc. it seems to do this in every section, it does it with the forum names when you change them in that section too. Any ideas?

Re: first four characters deleted

Glad you like it! The problem you are experiencing is a known bug i PHP 4.2.3 (and possibly other versions as well). Read more about it here: http://bugs.php.net/bug.php?id=19518

Edit: I removed the posts in the "1.0 preview" topic.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

thanks Kennel, sorry I posted this in the wrong place as well. thats a bit of a nightmare, is there anyway around it? I guess I could just edit the fields in the DB instead.

Well, the way around it is to either upgrade PHP or to recompile PHP without the configure parameter --enable-mbstr-enc-trans.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

yep, figured that - unfortunately my host is in control of all that, but I'll let them know. It seems quite important, so hopefully they should do something about it.

P.S. Thanks for your incredibly fast support and incredibly fast and good-looking forum software, best I've seen.

DeMux ;]

demux wrote:

yep, figured that - unfortunately my host is in control of all that, but I'll let them know. It seems quite important, so hopefully they should do something about it.

Yes, do that. It's quite a nasty bug, so they should take your request seriously.

demux wrote:

P.S. Thanks for your incredibly fast support and incredibly fast and good-looking forum software, best I've seen.

DeMux ;]

I get all warm and fussy inside hearing things like that :)

I get all warm and fussy inside hearing things like that smile

and so you should, I certainly would be chuffed if I wrote something as good as this.

having another problem tho, when I log out I lose all the CSS formatting, is there a fix?

demux wrote:

having another problem tho, when I log out I lose all the CSS formatting, is there a fix?

Hmm, I'm guessing that's a result of the "four character problem". You probably submitted the options form in the admin interface and then "Default style" got screwed up. Could you check what CSS file the forum is trying to load when you are logged out? If I were to guess I'd say it's trying to load style/en.css instead of style/Oxygen.css or something like that. If that is the case you will have to edit the field manually in the database.

10 (edited by demux 2003-08-06 13:23)

hmm. yeah thats what I thought, but since the 4 character thing I've been editing all the fields with phpmyadmin.

Could you check what CSS file the forum is trying to load when you are logged out?

not sure how you do that, is there another config/settings file apart from config.php?

don't worry - fixed it, it was a tiny tiny little typo, I didn't have a capital O in Oxygen...heh.

Ah, excellent.