Topic: Advice on Pun 1.4.2 Spam Extensions

Hi All

I've just upgraded a very old 1.18 Version of PunBB due to constant massive spam attacks and bots etc.

I have installed the newest version of PunBB 1.4.2 today and with a lot of experimenting, have managed to import all the data from the old version of the forum to the newest version, so very happy with that as I have never played with Mysql and myphpadmin much.

So the reason for the upgrade to the newest version was only due to bots and spam attacks which I got sick of constantly wasting my time cleaning up.

My questions are:

How bot and spam proof is the standard 1.4.2 PunBB install ??

What are the main 2 or 3 extensions to add from a bot and spam point of view to 1.4.2 PunBB installation?

What are the other major must have extensions for PunBB 1.4.2 that you consider ?

Thanks for your help in advance.
Jimbo

Re: Advice on Pun 1.4.2 Spam Extensions

Try Fancy stop spam http://punbb.informer.com/forums/post/144686/#p144686.

Thanks!

Is that all I need to worry about or should I try a couple of extensions??

How bot and spam proof is the standard 1.4.2 PunBB install ??

I suggest the use of pun_approval too.
Disable for each forum post and topic approval and enable registration approval.

There's also a re-captcha extension somewhere.

A clear standard installation isn't bot/spam proof, the registration and posting is straight forward.

I've installed both extensions as i had same problem with a 1.2.x installation, and now (after 1 month) no bot registration.

Thanks for the info everyone, appreciate it!