Topic: Backup database?

Ok, i need to move punbb and my site from the current host to my own server. I need a "backup" feature... And move the backup to my server and get it installd there.
It would be nice if there where some type of backupsystem, and restore system.

*happy codeing*

Re: Backup database?

Well, I don't think I've ever seen a host that doesn't provide some sort of administration interface for the databases it offers. phpMyAdmin i.e. has an export function.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

that would be a good feature, for those who do not have access.

It would be a nice feature, but there are other features I think have much higher priority.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

http://www.phpmyadmin.net/

I'm not sure, but cannot you install this on your page, and use it from that.

One advantage of an "in-board" backup of only the data (topics, posts, users, settings etc) and not the table-structure itself, is that you can dump the forum, from say a mysql db, and import in into a pgsql-installation from within theadmin-interface of the board.

Just a thought tho.

uhm, downloading and installing PHPMYAdmin is a HUGE security risk, that is all i have to say on that one. if the person installing it made
ONE mistake in pretecting the directory (trust me its easy to get in a password protected directory thats done with .htaccess files) has just made the server vulerable to things that can pretty much kill the whole thing.

I'm not following you here. Why fiddle with .htaccess? Just set auth_type to http in config.inc.php and you're all set to go.

9 (edited by ps21 2003-09-07 02:01)

Personally I would just go and get the 30 day free trial of Sqlyog. That will backup databases, create backup scripts, copy databases from one server to another or synchronise two servers. I am of course assuming you have access to a windows machine to install the app on.

10 (edited by RNilsson 2003-09-07 02:41)

It's really not a big bother to me if it's included or not as i run both phpmyadmin and phppgadmin on a protected subdomain on my local server (i use this as basepoint for all db-admin) but it would be nice to have the db-data-dump included.

Not all have the skills or ability to use a admin-tool as it's generally requires a little "hands-on" with installing such scripts.

ps21; If the db-server only allow 'localhost' access, you have to make backups/restore etc from the webserver(script) or via ssh/similar. Just as a note.

Mod anyone? smile

There are some scripts out there that you could use to backup a MySQL database.

http://www.absoft-my.com/pondok/backup.php?direct=1

If you'd like, I can try to integrate this script (or another) into PunBB and offer it as a mod.

"You start coding. I'll go find out what they want." - Computer Analyst to Programmer

thats a nice little script big_smile

RNilsson wrote:

ps21; If the db-server only allow 'localhost' access, you have to make backups/restore etc from the webserver(script) or via ssh/similar. Just as a note.

I try to learn one new thing everyday. Thank you for taking care of Sunday smile

ps21 wrote:
I try to learn one new thing everyday. Thank you for taking care of Sunday smile

You're very welcome smile

For a big forum (big datafile), be aware of scripttimeout, max upload file size etc as well when/if implementing backup/restore-routines.

I've got an old phpbb1.4 board that is 10mb, another phpbb2 forum in the 30mb-size, and this is a pain to handle i tell you... =/

Anyways, i don't think the search-idx tables would need to be backed up as a new serchindex should be built after a restore, if your changing db-type atleast.

Alright.

Question, how do you get around script timeout. I have never learned that because I never needed to know.

"You start coding. I'll go find out what they want." - Computer Analyst to Programmer

set_time_limit(0)

It doesn't work on all servers though. I think you can configure whether PHP (php.ini) allows changing the time limit in runtime or not.

another way is to contact your host, i dont have problems with timeout, i have uploaded a 200mb backup file onto my website before.

19 (edited by RNilsson 2003-09-07 21:42)

That would not work on hosts similar to webhotels where you don't have your own server/config-persmissions.

One possibility when dumping would be to do backup in 2000 bit chunks with automatic naming like: backup_0-2000.sql, backup 2001-4000.sql or with a userdefined value if the host can take a higer value (the user could experiment on this)

An alternate would be to make the script dump the to a local dir within the admin-dir via the fputs (?) and just append to the file in 4k chunks.
Same with restore, to have an option to read a file in a local file-path with fopen and let it read in 4K chunks.

This way the sql-file can be accessed via ftp.