Topic: How to make an SQL Database

I have no idea how to even begin to make an SQL Database. Is there anyone out there who could give me some advice or a hand with this ?

Thanks

Re: How to make an SQL Database

1. Download a databas program. There are many. The most popular for "not too advanced stuff" is MySQL.
2. Follow the instructions on how to install/setup.

Voila!

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Thanks for the help !  Much appreciated.

Is this one the www.mysql.net website ? I will also have to contact my IP and get them to upgrade their PHP to 4.2.0

Thanks

Its http://www.mysql.com (not .net)

Were you actually asking about making an sql database on your own pc or on your IP's server?

I need to create the database on my server so I can use the punBB forum. This is one of the nicest forums and easiest ones to use I have seen. My clients would really like this one if I can get past the mysql setup.

6 (edited by ps21 2003-09-14 22:26)

What server, Apache I hope. Is it a Windows machine? Do you already have php installed? Reason I am asking is that there are some pretty good online tutorials I know of but it depends on your setup.

Dont stop now.. After searching and searching I think I finally found what I thinkI am looking for.
Here is my problem.
I want to convert a DB from Access to SQL or even create one but cant figure out how. My server does not handle Access but can use SQL.
I want to make 1 table with 7 fields and have visitors to my site be able to search 3 or the fields and have them viewed on line.

I know I am missing something but for the life of me cant figure out what it is. (I will pull out all my hair if it is something as simple as a comma or quote mark. ) I have been totally self taught and no formal training in any web design or using programs. I do this just for a hobby and to keep me off the streets LOL.
Please direct me to those tutorials.
thanks ps21.

lammie

Get phpMyAdmin, best tool ever.. smile