Topic: smtp error - connection refused

Hi,

First let me say that this was an easy, quick forum to install. Even for a novice like me.

When I installed it yesterday, everything worked fine. Tonight while testing it again I cannot get it to send the confirmation email. I am getting this error:

Could not connect to smtp host "smtp.1and1.com" (111) (Connection refused).

I tried another smtp from another site I have hosted and got the same error.

Worked fine yesterday. Any help or suggestions appreciated.

No reason why my host would block the script is there?

Many thanks,

Lou

Re: smtp error - connection refused

I would say it's a problem with your SMTP server. Do you use authentication for the server?

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

If your account is a oneandone account, then I'm not sure smtp.1and1.com is correct.

I have a domain ordered from oneandone.co.uk and the FAQ shows that the SMTP is "auth.smtp.oneandone.co.uk" - I'm not sure where you are from but I'd advise checking the SMTP settings of the provider.

Check this link to see if it solves your problem at all..

Thanks for the replies.

I have authentication set. It worked when I set it up and registered myself as a user.

I tried it without authentication and got the same error.

smtp.1and1.com is correct. I have my emails working correctly with Mozilla, and that is what they gave for setup. In the USA.

I'll call 1and1 support today when they open to see if it is something on their end.

Any other ideas?

Lou

Ok. I took out all the smtp/username information and it is now working fine. Don't know why it worked the first time with it in there. Looks like it didn't need it.

Thanks for the feedback.

Lou