Topic: My own computer...

I got my own computer the other day and i would begin some hard coding but Apache dont seem to want to work.. its giving me an error saying: WS2_32.DLL is missing... Any ideas why?

---------> PLEASE REMEMBER I GOT THE FIRST EVER POST OF PUNBB 1.1! <---------

2 (edited by ps21 2003-12-06 20:31)

Re: My own computer...

You probably need to install or reinstall Winsock 2. This is a bit of an odd problem because it usually only happens with really old versions of Wndows like 95 or the original 98. Which version of Windoze are you running?

Windows 98, i went to dll-files.com and downloaded it and put the dll file in the right directory but when i opened MySQL it said ACCESS VIOLATION and APACHE dont start...

But all i wanna do is be able to view php pages in Windows 98 on IE (i dont have any type of internet connection either)

Try reinstalling or repairing your IE installation (or install a newer version).

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Did the reinstall of IE work?. Just a thought, if you do not have an internet connection did you select to install the communications modules when you installed Win98.

Win 98 was already installed.. and i dont have a win98 disk.

7 (edited by CSpotkill 2003-12-24 10:28)

Try downloading and installing Winsock 2: (This may only apply to Windows 95)
http://www.microsoft.com/windows95/down … efault.asp

Otherwise I'd also recommend reinstalling TCP/IP and Dial-Up Networking, so since you don't have the original OEM disk or anything, you're kinda screwed. Maybe you could try this.

Though there's a quick solution to all your Win98 troubles ...

Why not get rid of Windoze completly and install SuSe Linux or Free BSD. Or if you want, you can partition the hard drive and have windows and linux installed. I mean do this if all else fails.

http://www.opencascade.com/community/forum/thread_325/
Read up on what other people have done.
Personaly, I would go for the linux solution

Do, or do not.

Can you have Windows and Linux on 1 2GB hard drive?

I would imagine so, but it wouldn't leave much room for anything else

Hmmmm... well i'll leave that idea smile

I remember successfully installing windows 95 on a 80MB HD with 40MB to spare for swap file and few programs and as Linux distros on a single 3.5" disk exists I would say that 2GB is more disk space than anyone would ever need :-)

2Gb is really reducing me to what i can do.... most programs that i wanna install are just too big.. and C++ fills up most of my space... so i had to uninstall it again today... anyone got any h/ds going spare for a small price or something?

I'm not sure how fesable this is, but, try knopppix std. Its a cd bootable version on linux that has apache already installed. the only thing you need to have is the website on your 2 gig harddrive. If it works, it works. The only problem I can see is driver issues, Try it, Linux is free.

http://www.knoppix-std.org/

Do, or do not.

Dale wrote:

2Gb is really reducing me to what i can do.... most programs that i wanna install are just too big.. and C++ fills up most of my space... so i had to uninstall it again today... anyone got any h/ds going spare for a small price or something?

No problem. I ripped out a 40Gb drive not so long ago, its not even very old. I don't have any use for it. Getting it to survive the Royal Mail will be another matter. Email me and let me know where to send it.

Done wink