1 (edited by chacmool 2003-12-20 20:58)

Topic: Converter phpBB -> PunBB

I've been working on a converter for a few days now. The problem is that I don't have any large forum to test it on, so if someone could provide me with a phpBB-forum dump I would be very happy smile

Otherwise, if you don't want to send it, you maybe can test the converter for me when it's getting finished?

http://www.etek.chalmers.se/~e0mool/punbb/pics/Converter.jpg

A few questions regarding phpBB's BB-code (it has more than PunBB does):

1. Smileys: Should I remove the ones which doesn't exist in PunBB or just leave them? Example below with list of all phpBB smileys:

big_smile  smile  sad  yikes  :shock:  :?  8)  lol  :x  tongue  :oops:  :cry:  :evil:  :twisted: roll  wink  :!:  :?:  :idea:  :arrow:

2. Lists: Remove the list-stuff (not the text) completely, or make a "fake" list as shown below:

List:
  · Red
  · Blue
  · Yellow

Re: Converter phpBB -> PunBB

I've got a forum from Mako (thanx alot btw!), and things it seems to work fine smile. I've found like five bugs imediately, most of them fixed now...

I think you should leave the smileys there. If the admin really wants them, he can add them to the PunBB forum.

Doing the lists like that is also a good idea. I think I would have skipped the "List:" though. It's quite obvious anyway :)

Edit: Oh, and BTW. Good work! :D

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Great looking mod!

---------> PLEASE REMEMBER I GOT THE FIRST EVER POST OF PUNBB 1.1! <---------
---------> PLEASE REMEMBER I GOT THE FIRST EVER POST OF PUNBB 1.1! <---------

Looks very nice smile
Does it supports different servers? like phpbb on server1 and want to convert to punbb on server2?

No, it's not...

7 (edited by chacmool 2003-12-21 13:38)

Goddamn this is tricky!

Recently found a bug where users with a ' in their "Location" would'nt be converted... 11 poor users (out of 815) were lost!

addslashes() ? :)

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Yepp, but here the problem was to find _why_ some users were missing, not the solution smile

I've found loads of bugs using Mako's database!

Nice.

Cant wait until this mod is released! i really want to run my forum in punbb instead of phpbb smile need the database converted though hmm

12 (edited by chacmool 2003-12-22 09:51)

I'm going away for a while now... xmas and all that. So there's no converter until after x-mas sometime. Maybe I'll release it when Kennel's released PunBB 1.1 smile

hehe,,, how? its easier to write only eng,,, hehe ...

until efter x-mas sometime.
       ^^

Apelsinjuice wrote:

hehe,,, how? its easier to write only eng,,, hehe ...

until efter x-mas sometime.
       ^^

Hehe, just trying to teach the english-speaking guys some swedish roll big_smile

I'm glad my database-dump is working for you.

* flexes *

"You start coding. I'll go find out what they want." - Computer Analyst to Programmer