26 (edited by Jansson 2004-05-23 16:41)

Re: New posts in topics.

The function is two if's. I could have done it without a function but it's easier to install this way. And an sql query is much slower ;)

Im using multiple cookies because they are deleted in 600secs. I can use one but i chose not to because it require much more cpu.

each solution has it avantages.. you choose to use more cookies, i choose to use one sql  query more... I'll look if it's possible do use less cpu.

Bye wink

28 (edited by Yann 2004-05-23 20:13)

had to hack a bit to make the code works properly; might be not that clean. If you're still interested, please mail me.. smile

EDIT: please forget it, the code would be too dirty with forums containing more than one category.
EDIT2: in fact it could easily work, but I should do the sql request every time a page update the last-visited date... so.. on almost every page hmm

Hi; I realize this topic is over a month old, so apologies if I'm digging up old news.

I'm wondering if there are any new developments on this feature. I've recently switched a forum over to punbb from invision, and only having a single 'mark all forums read' function is a huge step back (Invision marks each individual post read after you read it, plus you can mark an individual forum read). Everything else is great with PunBB, though.

Annyway... I was interested in the hack that Yann came up with earlier in this thread, but I'm wondering if it is in fact a clean, fast solution, or if maybe there are any other solutions that have been developed in the past month.

Thanks for any info you guys have.

30 (edited by pgregg 2004-06-23 00:31)

Mmm, multiple cookies might be the best cross-platform solution (from the board operator POV) - however you need to consider 2 additional factors:

a) Cookies - The browser will have to send every cookie back that it received in the past 10 minutes - introduces request latency.

b - and a BIG b) HTTP RFCs state that a HTTP Request size is a maximum of 4KBytes in size.  Now I'm guessing your cookies are small bytewise in value and smallish in name, but remember you have a 15 character overhead for each cookie.

This means that you can quickly overflow the max request size if you are reading posts or flicking through a forum.

Compounding this issue is that users of Checkpoint Firewall 1 (i.e. big business) default HTTP Request size is 1KB.

In summary, it's the easy way to do it, but will introduce big problems for many users.

Hope this helps.

Clarify - this is HTTP Request _HEADER_

Paul.

31 (edited by cuteseal 2004-06-23 01:10)

I tend to agree with Rickard - the attraction to punbb is that it's meant to be lightweight, fast and simple.  You have to draw the line somewhere in terms of features vs efficiency - if you want features, then perhaps phpbb or vbulletin or invision is better suited to your needs...

I've got no problems with the way it works now... (well give or take a few mods) smile

Digital photography news, reviews, discussions and more!
http://www.shuttertalk.com

The online bible for all
http://www.publicbible.com

I do understand the complexity that is  introduced when you bring cookies and all of that into the picture.

What about a 'mark forum read' for each individual board? The reason that it is an inconvenience for me now is this:

If I have a lot of new posts to go through, it may take me several minutes to do it. In that time, other users may be posting. If I then go 'mark all forums read', I completely miss the new messages that have been posted in the meantime.

Of course a clean, fast way to make each post appear as read as I go through it would be the best solution, but if I could mark each forum read as I go through it, this kind of scenario would probably happen less often.