Topic: htaccess help

Guess this board has many Linux appache users, so I will post my problem. Running Redhat 9 with appache. Need to password protect a whole site, so I make the .htaccess file, as such:

AuthName "yadayada"
AuthType Basic
AuthUserFile /var/www/html/.htpasswd

Require valid-user

Made a user name and encrypted pword in .htpasswd. Now, when I try accessing the site, it lets me in with out a username and password prompt. Even checked from a different connection on another computer, still the same. I also changed the AllowOverride from None to All in the http.conf.

This is starting to get annoying. Any and all help is appriciated.

Also posted on dev shed: http://forums.devshed.com/showthread.ph … post490445

Do, or do not.

Re: htaccess help

Does it promt for a password or does it let you directly?
Take a look at your apache configuration, there may be some options you change there.

Got it. Turns out I changed the wrong AllowOveride (bang heads against wall). Thanks again.

Do, or do not.

Hi how do i create a htaccess file ? 
maybe stopid question tongue , kan i make one from a notbok textfile ? and how schould i name it ?

Its for WebCalendar Error
You must reconfigure your php.ini file to have magic_quotes_gpc set to ON

The way I have done it is to create a htaccess.txt file (in notepad) and then ftp it to my server. My ftp software (filezilla) allows me to rename the file on the server to .htaccess.

Hope this helps....

It dosent work for me sad   my website is on loopia.se  , maybe i do wrong as normal tongue
Is there another way to fix that ? php.ini     cant find that file.

You would not be able to find the php.ini file, that is under the control of the server admin.

Do, or do not.

zc923 wrote:

You would not be able to find the php.ini file, that is under the control of the server admin.

Ok , so that mean i cant use the Webcalender ?   sad   hm

Well, if you create and upload a .htaccess file to your server, and nothing happens as it is supposed to, then it is not at your end. It most probably the server configuration that needs tweaking. If you are with a good host, they should not give a problem with doing this. Talk to them and see what they say.

Do, or do not.