Topic: PunBB -> phpBB

Does anyone have a mod to convert PunBB to phpBB?

Re: PunBB -> phpBB

I believe you will have to ask in the phpBB forums for that.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Rickard wrote:

I believe you will have to ask in the phpBB forums for that.

i already did that smile

Ok, then I can't help you. I doubt anyone in here will help you since you are converting away from PunBB.

Might I ask why you want to convert to phpBB?

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Rickard wrote:

Ok, then I can't help you. I doubt anyone in here will help you since you are converting away from PunBB.

i like punBB a lot, but i need a forum with more options and stuff. It's not that i don't like punBB wink

basalphenaar wrote:
Rickard wrote:

i like punBB a lot, but i need a forum with more options and stuff. It's not that i don't like punBB ;)

What is it that your'e missing then?

Chacmool wrote:
basalphenaar wrote:
Rickard wrote:

i like punBB a lot, but i need a forum with more options and stuff. It's not that i don't like punBB wink

What is it that your'e missing then?

well i don't like the way how to update the forum with the newest version. it's to hard for me to do that. the way phpBB does that is much easier for me.

Its always better to do a fresh install. You are more likely to run into bugs or problems if you update one file at a time.

Do, or do not.

Honesly, I haven't tried doing an upgrade in phpBB. How does it differ from the way it's done in PunBB?

10 (edited by Paul 2004-02-01 01:46)

The upgrades for phpBB seem to be done via a script i.e. the whole thing is automated just like doing a fresh install except with greater potential for a total cock up.

Ah, perhaps he means the fact that you don't have to upgrade in steps if you have a version that isn't the second latest. If not, I have no idea. I just checked phpBB out and upgrading from i.e. 2.0.5 to 2.0.6 is identical to upgrading from PunBB 1.1 to 1.1.1. You unpack the new files and then run an upgrade script.

12 (edited by Paul 2004-02-01 02:00)

I was looking at the upgrade from 1.4 to 2 i.e. a full version upgrade. What it effectively allows is to do a new install over the top of an existing install just like some software. In PunBB terms it would be like jumping from 1.0.1 to 1.2 in one go without having to do anything manually. The instructions do however contain a dire warning that the whole long winded process could fail if there was a server timeout.

Yes! And half-way-through installs is something we want to avoid! It's a mess cleaing it up =/

It must be better to do it in steps than letting the install-file do all checks? Is there any problem (beside the halw-way-through-install-problem) doing everything in one step? You could include the necessary update-files in the install-file instead to solve the step-by-step-installation...

To be a webmaster, you must be willing to go through the tedious work of maintaing a secure, up to date site.

Do, or do not.

zc923 wrote:

To be a webmaster, you must be willing to go through the tedious work of maintaing a secure, up to date site.

wrong. anyone can be a webmaster; the "willing to do tedious work part" is what dedicated webmasters do wink

Andy wrote:
zc923 wrote:

wrong. anyone can be a webmaster; the "willing to do tedious work part" is what dedicated webmasters do wink

Both wrong. "tedious work" is what rich webmasters pay poor webmasters to do.

Paul wrote:

Haha, true. Or tedious work is what poor webmasters do them selves when they don't have a life besided codeing and website managment.

Do, or do not.

18 (edited by CSpotkill 2004-02-03 06:20)

Paul wrote:
Andy wrote:
zc923 wrote:

wrong. anyone can be a webmaster; the "willing to do tedious work part" is what dedicated webmasters do ;)

Wong again ? You can't be a webmaster, rich or poor, if you don't do the work ... then you're just a rich "site owner". It's only boring or tedious if you don't like the definition ;)

webmaster

n. [WWW: from postmaster] The person at a site
providing World Wide Web information who is responsible for
maintaining the public pages and keeping the Web server running and
properly configured.

Source: Jargon File 4.2.0

Since when is extracting a zip "tedious work"? Besides, even manual search and replace isn't tedious, as that implies you aren't having fun. ;) No, "tedious" is only used to describe the work of by webmasters who don't want to be webmasters ...

Tedious work is trying to update one part of your site. Then after you have done so, you realize that something about the webpage design isn't right since the upgrade. Then you sit there trying to figure out what went wrongo.

Do, or do not.

Stick to the topic or I will slap you all ;D

21 (edited by Louis 2004-02-03 20:30)

This new off-topic post I'm writing right now would be another good reason for a Moderate Topic feature wink

Louis wrote:

This new off-topic post I'm writing right now would be another good reason for a Moderate Topic feature ;)

Hehe, after enough times maybe Richard will implement it right away ;D

Chacmool wrote:
Louis wrote:

This new off-topic post I'm writing right now would be another good reason for a Moderate Topic feature ;)

Hehe, after enough times maybe Richard will implement it right away ;D

My thoughts exactly =p

Wow, now that I have read through this thread, I realize how off topic I threw everyone off. My appologies.

Oh, and the Moderator thing, I'm starting to think its a good thing.

Do, or do not.