Topic: What is missing?

I'll have to say it is a good question!
then i'll answer it, so first i think you need to change your
theme to a more graphical one, second you need to add
more cells to the registration like personal info about
hobbies, gendes (maybe) and anothers.
i think more mod will add to the experience or should
i say built in mod like private messeges, and attachment.
hope i helped you!

Re: What is missing?

I think pun will lose some of its charm if you put more graphic in it, i really like it when its clear and simple, if someone want its more graphical it shudent be that hard to fix it your self

I agree with zargoth. Adding lots of features and "fluff" isn't really what I want to do with PunBB. If I do, PunBB will be no different from boards like phpBB or IPB.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Less is more big_smile

the point is that it's like a body with out many flesh ans skin.
i think that many people will perfer phpBB or IB because of
the extra options.

I'm running Punbb on a freeserver. Listen, the faster the page loads, the less bandwith gets used, the more I stay out of trouble.

Do, or do not.

7 (edited by Paul 2004-02-02 13:00)

Alon wrote:

i think that many people will perfer phpBB or IB because of
the extra options.

Thats probably true. However, the purpose of PunBB as I see it is to provide an alternative for those people who wanted something light and fast which could be easily integrated into their site. I don't think PunBB was ever intented to be competing directly with IPB or phpBB, its a different market. When choosing a script people should work out what they need and choose what does the job. Taking one script that doesn't meet your requirements and then altering it so it is exactly like another script which would have been a more appropriate choice in the first place seems pointless.

What I have noticed though is that there are an awful lot of forums running IPB and phpBB using the default skin and hardly using any of the cute but non-essential features. I do wonder if people actually think what they really need before choosing a script.

8 (edited by CSpotkill 2004-02-03 05:30)

Alon wrote:

... change your theme to a more graphical one ...

Once we've CSS, that will be no problem ? and entirely up to the end-user/implementer ;)

Though I've made some mods now, I don't want them to be included in PunBB by Rickard, I'm not even running all my mods myself! I do like to have the choice to install them as I wish.

Since there are a "PunBB++"-version released, I don't see why this is a problem, people who want's all the mods can download that one instead.

Louis wrote:

Once we've CSS, that will be no problem ? and entirely up to the end-user/implementer wink

Provided they understand something about CSS poitioning, otherwise they could end up with a Picasso smile

Paul wrote:

Provided they understand something about CSS poitioning ...

If the CSS is broken up into multiple files based on what people would commonly want to edit vs. what they'd goof up on, then it would be fine. For example, we could have the colours separate from the positioning/framework. We could also create multiple versions with background colours and heading graphics, for people who want a phpBB style with gradient background images specified in another CSS file and a tutorial to modify the gradients and CSS to fit anyone's website.

From the Main Page:

What is PunBB?

In short, PunBB is a fast and lightweight discussion board. It is released under the GNU Public License. It's primary goal is to be the faster, smaller and less graphic alternative to otherwise excellent discussion boards like phpBB, Invision Power Board and vBulletin.

That should explain everything!
A fast, simple to use forum seems to be the goal, not bloat, graphics, and fluff.

13 (edited by jochem 2004-02-16 12:15)

yes, otherwise i wasn't using it right now smile

Well, I must agree with the people here. The most atttractive thing of punBB is its lightweight. It provides all you really need to host a forum, and most of the things you'd like to have you can easily implement.

I use it as an extra value to my site, where my customers can discuss about bugs and request features or simply express their opinion, and it was peanuts to integrate it. Besides, I've learnt a lot of good programming techniques browsing through most of the code. If I want phpBB or IV or whatever, I can go and get them. The minute you start competing with the others, you're running a competitive race, that you're likely going to lose unless you've got a really good supporting team.

So, due to its flavour, punBB is the best choice for me. If it changes completely, it won't be. Don't misunderstand me, flashy boards are nice to see, but they serve a different purpose. If I wanted to attract people, I wouldn't be using punBB (no disrespect meant) just as it is, but I'd be adding lots of mods, or simply get another package that is easier to install and has them allready.

Maintaining this board simple and at the same time updating the mods is much more work than integrating them and forgetting about them, but with a little work from the user (and don't forget we're talking free products here) you can customize it as well.

Oh, well, that's so much for ranting, each position has its advantages, so I guess we'll all be of different opinions... which is much better than the opposite smile

Marc

MarcB wrote:

If I wanted to attract people, I wouldn't be using punBB (no disrespect meant) just as it is, but I'd be adding lots of mods, or simply get another package that is easier to install and has them allready.

Believe it or not, but I take that as a compliment :)

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."