Re: PunBB 1.2 - What's to come

Rickard wrote:

Any script that requires register_globals today should be shunned.

Shunned is too nice a word.

Rickard wrote:

Ah, I see. Well, Juan.Llanos answered the question.

I'm a good "niño"

Rickard wrote:

Whenever I change anything worth noting, I update the changelog

- [DONE] Make markup valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional. Thank Eelco Lempsink for that.

gosh... i was doing that on my own! big_smile

Actually, that entry is kind of outdated. Every single piece of markup and CSS has been updated for 1.2. We thank Paul for that :)

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Paul wrote:
Andy wrote:

Any chance of a screenshot?

http://www.post21.co.uk/punpics/index.png
http://www.post21.co.uk/punpics/viewtopic.png
http://www.post21.co.uk/punpics/register.png

For those who are wondering. The index page has one table only and the other two pages have no tables at all.

Can't you give us an example page or someting. Not images. I want to test it and see how you have built it.

Workstation:Debian GNU/Linux & Windows XP, PIII 1Ghz, 384MB RAM, 120GB (WD), AOpen GeForce4 Ti4200 128MB, SB Live! 5.1,
Server: Debian GNU/Linux, PII 300Mhz, 192MBRAM, 7.5+43GB

I would like to see a screenshot of the admin area.  Is that complete yet?

By the way, Great Work!

If its cheaper to run Windows than it is to run Linux, how come Microsoft has all the money?

Todd wrote:

I would like to see a screenshot of the admin area.  Is that complete yet?

By the way, Great Work!

No, it's not done yet.

Rickard wrote:

- Test, test, test.

Who needs testing? big_smile

Digital photography news, reviews, discussions and more!
http://www.shuttertalk.com

The online bible for all
http://www.publicbible.com

Thanks for writing 1.2 in XHTML/CSS.
That's the main reason I like this forum and am planning to use it.

I was planning to take another one - the FUD Forum maybe, and convert it from table-layout to CSS, but you saved me the trouble.

I haven't looked at the source code yet and I don't know much about PHP, but it sounds like you gave as much attention to writing well-structured PHP as you did to writing clean markup.

Good job.

Except that he didn't write the clean markup for 1.2, Paul did. :)

I should remind everybody though that with a script like PunBB or any other web application the backend is everything. Writing the xhtml/css which puts the thing on the screen is relatively simple. Writing the kind of php code which Rickard has produced requires real talent.

Paul wrote:

I should remind everybody though that with a script like PunBB or any other web application the backend is everything. Writing the xhtml/css which puts the thing on the screen is relatively simple. Writing the kind of php code which Rickard has produced requires real talent.

Don't be shy :) I think "simple" is a big understatement when it comes to CSS :D

I wouldn't say it's harder to write good PHP code than it is to write good markup/CSS. That's like saying football is more difficult than table tennis.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Jansson wrote:

Except that he didn't write the clean markup for 1.2, Paul did. smile

I know; I was thanking everybody as a group - Rickard, Paul, Chacmool, and anyone else.

I agree that writing good XHTML/CSS isn't as easy as some think.  It's getting easier, but there are lots of cross browser compatibility issues.

Paul wrote:

Writing the kind of php code which Rickard has produced requires real talent.

How good is it?  I know - that sounds like a joke, and I'm sure it's good.  But I don't know much about programming so the only way I can know is to ask.  People have told me, for example, that phpBB's code is really bad, and that FUD's is relatively good.

I think it's good.

And most of all, it's very clean code, no mumbo jumbo found anywhere, and I have been in the majority of the files ... big_smile

I'm flattered you like the code. The trick behind writing code that other people enjoy reading is consistency. It doesn't really matter where you put your curly braces as long as you always put them in the same spot :)

118 (edited by D9r 2004-08-21 10:29)

What's the ETA for version 1.2?
Is it soon enough that I should wait, or should I start now with 1.1.5?

I won't make any predictions. It will be released "when it's done".

No problem, just curious.  I'll go ahead and try 1.1.5.  If the upgrade is a pain I can always just delete it (saving the DB) and start over.

D9r wrote:

No problem, just curious.  I'll go ahead and try 1.1.5.  If the upgrade is a pain I can always just delete it (saving the DB) and start over.

That will probably be the only way to upgrade since there will be many changes in the source. But an upgrade script for the db will be included in the release.

Upgrading will be done by just overwriting all the scripts with the new ones and then running a script that updates the database. You won't lose any posts or users or anything like that.

Richard: are you waiting for the CSS to be ready or are you just waiting for an opportunity to start coding?

A little bit of both actually :)

125 (edited by Todd 2004-08-23 22:47)

The more I play with Pun the more I like it.

It's just clean!

While I want to learn PHP and I am reading a couple of books on the subject... I trust the code behind Pun is pretty clean too.  It runs fast and it so simple to administer... its great!

One thing I don't like about Invision Board is how many stickin' options it has in the admin area.... I mean it is trying to do everything.... take the kids to school and water the lawn.  Way more than I need.

I'm a punbber for life! wink

If its cheaper to run Windows than it is to run Linux, how come Microsoft has all the money?