Topic: Intranet and setting up PunBB on a Win2k or XP machine.

Hi i have a friend who is setting up some internal websites and for a company he is working for and was looking to up a BB and he has asked me about it!

I know very little about BB.

I think PunBB is perfect because it is lightweight and wont kill his machine which is not a decicated server but is a good speced PC.

So my Question is will PunBB work for an intranet and will it run off a PC running win2k or XP as the whole intranet is running off his pc (just a small site).

I have looked through the FAQ and install docs and it says it needs a  webserver Apache would be prefared.So i was wondering what options he would have.

I donk know very much about this kind of thing so be gentle if this question was stupid!

Thanks in advance.

Re: Intranet and setting up PunBB on a Win2k or XP machine.

Yes, it will run just fine off any PC that can run PHP and that has a database handler installed. You can run it with the Apache webserver or with some other webserver (i.e. IIS that comes with Windows Professional). MySQL is available in a Windows version, so that's no problem either.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

3 (edited by Paul 2004-03-03 02:00)

Just out of interest would the new sqlite functionality be of particular interest to this kind of setup. I have it mind that somebody with their own machine can always install the latest version of php and not have to bother with mysql. If they use IIS then that only leaves php to install.

Yes, SQLite will work fine as well. However, if the board is expected to be busy, I would still recommend MySQL. SQLite is very cool, but it doesn't work that well in multiuser environments where there are a lot of updates to the database (such as a busy forum).

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Well it looks like PunBB will work perfect foxy!

Have you started to try loading it yet?

Just about to, cheers