Topic: IPB -> PunBB

Is there a Invision Power Board converter for PunBB?

while (punbb)
{
     punnerbb();
}

Re: IPB -> PunBB

yeah im also looking for such a mod as I would like to move my ipb forum to punbb wink

I agree. It would be very nice. If we annoy Chacmool enough, I'm sure he'll update his phpbb converter to also convert IPB boards :D

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Hehe, try if you dare :P

I have been thinking about doing another converter for a while... alot of other projects / games / schoolwork and so on in the way though. Also, I'm going away (too Trysil in Norway) now during the easter holiday, but I might look at it when I'm back.

Why would you want to go from IPB to punBB? That's like downgrading! I mean, any forum that requires a mod to get a private message system is pathetic. Either keep IPB or go to http://www.simplemachines.org and get a real messageboard.

6 (edited by Skye 2004-04-05 04:41)

test567 wrote:

Why would you want to go from IPB to punBB? That's like downgrading! I mean, any forum that requires a mod to get a private message system is pathetic. Either keep IPB or go to http://www.simplemachines.org and get a real messageboard.

You have got to be kidding me. That forum is poorly made! In fact, it's a poor quality Invision Board rip-off. The developers managed to copy the directory structure, the file names and even the array that "decides" which class to load through index.php. Except, they did a poor implementation which does not use Object Oriented programming methods and there is plentiful redundant code everywhere. Please put your shameless plugs somewhere else...where someone actually cares. We don't.

The fact you're saying such a nonsense thing proves that you really don't understand what PunBB is all about. As the developer has made clear, several times throughout this site and forums, he is not out to make "another bloated, feature packed forum." While those aren't his exact words the message is quite clear. I will save myself the time of further jumping at you and end my post with this: I myself am a relatively new addition to the PunBB community but don't let my registration date fool you. PunBB was not made to catch the eyes of every consumer like a moth to a bright light. PunBB was made for a niche market. PunBB serves a purpose. PunBB is a product enjoyed by the inexperienced and enthusiasts alike.

With that said, leave thy sight. We don't need the trouble of trolls.

Back on topic: I'm not too sure about converting IPB to PunBB as IPB has quite an advanced database schema and you will have to drop out more than you'll convert. I would assume just the essentials will be imported... e.g. ibf_members, ibf_posts, ibf_forums, etc... You'll have to be careful about the versions of IPB in which you import because the database schema has changed quite a bit between v1.3 to v2.0 PDR1 which is now in it's first public beta. I would like it if you supported only v2.0 and provided in the instructions for people to run the Invision 2.0 upgrade scripts, when they're made by Invision Power Services prior to attempting to convert to your software. This will simplify the process and slash the possible bugs.

Skye wrote:

I would like it if you supported only v2.0 and provided in the instructions for people to run the Invision 2.0 upgrade scripts, when they're made by Invision Power Services prior to attempting to convert to your software. This will simplify the process and slash the possible bugs.

I completely agree.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Rickard wrote:

I completely agree.

Alrighty then. smile

But isn't V1.3 the last of the free versions??
(and hence the reason some may want to switch)

Every Day Above Ground Is A Good One!!

middleground wrote:

But isn't V1.3 the last of the free versions??
(and hence the reason some may want to switch)

No, in all technicality, the last free version was something like 1.1.2 because when they introduced v1.2 of IPB it was under a new license system. Basically, the license allows IPB to be free forever, unlimited trial, no shutdown date so long as you maintain the copyright information at the bottom. The "license" so to speak is more for support and stuff. Basically it's kind of like RedHat used to do it, before the RedHat Enterprise ONLY move. You get the product free, but you can optionally pay for errata support as well as the big thick manual and free 24/7 telephone support.

I've looked at a converter now (hmm, something to do with me having an exam next week? :P)

There's a few problems though... what should I do with the font and size code? (It's not BB-code in the database, so there's som regexp to do anyway):

Font: <span style='font-family:Courier'>Courier</span>
Size: <span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>7</span> 

Try this:

$text = 'some text here <span style=\'font-family:Courier\'>[Text in a different font]</span> more text <span style=\'font-size:14pt;line-height:100%\'>[Text in a different size]</span> more text';

$text = preg_replace('#<span style=\'font-family:(.*?)\'>(.*?)</span>#i', '$2', $text);
$text = preg_replace('#<span style=\'font-size:[0-9]{1,2}pt;line-height:100%\'>(.*?)</span>#i', '$1', $text);

dump($text);

Rickard wrote:

Try this:

Yeah, I've done that already :) What I meant was what to do with it, just dump the BB-code completely or make it bold/italic or something instead, like this:

Change this:
<span style='font-family:Courier'>Courier</span>

To this instead:
[i]Courier[/i]

Aha, stupid me. Well, it's up to you :)

I've got another problem, InvPB2 uses salt for their passwords, like this:

$hash = md5( md5( $salt ) . md5($pass) )

There's no "MD5-invers", so it feels like I'm stuck here. Bruteforce is not a solution, and requiering every user to re-register is not good either. One solution is to write a mod... Any other solution? What to do?

That is a problem. I'll give it some thought.

I honestly don't think there is a way to solve this :( There are two options:

1. Add a similar authorization mechanism to PunBB.
2. Have all members request a new password via "Forgot your password?".

The first solution I don't like at all. Mostly because it is incompatible with the way vBulletin3 works. In vBulletin3, the hash is calculated like this:

md5(md5(pass).salt)

The salt isn't hashed seperately like in IPB. I prefer that way since hashing the salt doesn't add any security at all, only a little bit of processing time for the server. I can't see why Matt chose to implement it like it is now in IPB2. Converting from vB3 to IPB will also be problematic.

Edit. I found a topic on the subject at IPB: http://forums.invisionpower.com/index.p … pic=120294

It feel's like the second option is better yes... hopefully most people have a valid mail entered.

Don't like his answer either.

Matt wrote:

Anyone who is counting the cost of the additional md5() needs to get some fresh air and quick!

I hash the salt. It makes me happy knowing there's one more MD5 going on in there to obfuscate the hash.
Do I need to do it? No.
Is there any point in doing it? Maybe a little.
Does it hurt? Nope.

Though, even if he changed it, we would still have the same problem.

Matt wrote:

Anyone who is counting the cost of the additional md5() needs to get some fresh air and quick!

I hash the salt. It makes me happy knowing there's one more MD5 going on in there to obfuscate the hash.
Do I need to do it? No.
Is there any point in doing it? Maybe a little.
Does it hurt? Nope.

Any developer with that attitude needs to get out, and stay there.

Matt's allright. He's just been in the game a lot longer than me. I guess you sometimes reach a point where you get tired of people claiming things they know nothing about. I'm not saying all the posts in that topic are crap, just some of them. I don't agree with him on this, but I can't understand why he chose to implement it that way.

Enough about Matt :P

Seem's like we're stuck with the second solution... I've uploaded a public beta to PunRes. Would be happy if people could test it for me. Only use this to help me make the converter! If there's bugs there, I won't help anyone by making a fix for an already converted forum.

BACKUP your database before using it!

Cool. I wish I had an IPB database to test it on :)

If there's a need of a IPB-Database I'm interested in get this script public (didn't find it) so I'll provide the sql-file for testing.

Thanks

http://punbb.org/download/contrib/PunBB … -1.4.0.zip