Re: Converting from minibb to punbb

Why can't you just wait a few days? =P

Jansson wrote:

Why can't you just wait a few days? =P

Because I've "waited" for alot of days already. You're just lazy :P

Hey, I'm sick! And I'm working as much as I can right now.. almost ;)

well, miniBB was hard to customize visually, and is also a lot more difficult to integrate than punBB.

but my biggest reason for abandoning miniBB, is that I configured and installed miniBB v1.6, and then they updated it to v1.7, but they totally changed the entire layout implementation, to using more CSS - which in itself is good, but makes it straight out impossible to upgrade... if I want to upgrade to v1.7, I will have to do the entire visual customization from the ground up again! sad

who knows if when they update again, will they make me do everything over again? I just don't have time for that.

plus if I have to do the whole thing over again, now that I know punBB and realize that it is the perfect incarnation of the bullettin board, why not simply switch? smile

...er, that was in reply to Chacmool's post on the PREVIOUS page saying "miniBB is not that different from punBB".

okay, so it would be good if the list of latest posts on the punBB frontpage would actually link to the last page of a thread, thus SHOWING the latest post when you click - somewhat confusing wink

mindplay wrote:

but my biggest reason for abandoning miniBB, is that I configured and installed miniBB v1.6, and then they updated it to v1.7, but they totally changed the entire layout implementation, to using more CSS - which in itself is good, but makes it straight out impossible to upgrade... if I want to upgrade to v1.7, I will have to do the entire visual customization from the ground up again! :(

Which is basically what will happen with PunBB in 1.2 :D

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

I hope you're joking? PunBB seems to be already really neatly CSS'ed??

Rickard wrote:
mindplay wrote:

but my biggest reason for abandoning miniBB, is that I configured and installed miniBB v1.6, and then they updated it to v1.7, but they totally changed the entire layout implementation, to using more CSS - which in itself is good, but makes it straight out impossible to upgrade... if I want to upgrade to v1.7, I will have to do the entire visual customization from the ground up again! :(

Which is basically what will happen with PunBB in 1.2 :D

Hehe, exactly my thought :)

mindplay: Is it that hard to change it? It feels like it's quite easy to change something when it's just a CSS-file to edit.

chacmool: it would have been, except since I had to use HTML and templates before to create the layout/design integration, I also changed a lot of stuff that isn't possible with CSS...

but anyways, if you ask me, punBB outrules miniBB in just about every way wink

mindplay: The idea is that is should be possible to alter the appearance of PunBB via stylesheets to a much greater degree than today. What you can do today with different styles is change colors and borders. With the changes Paul is working on it will be possible to do much more than that. The markup will also be more sematically correct.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Sounds good, as long as it's still easy to customize. But of course, if it's pure CSS, it will be smile

When will we be able to see a preview of this new layout? Would be interesting to see the changes...

mindplay wrote:

Sounds good, as long as it's still easy to customize. But of course, if it's pure CSS, it will be :)

Exactly.

I've been thinking of making different styles, but it's to much work to make any major changes (since it requires a mod to chang the php-files). I can (almost) only make color-changes, which is quote booring.

very nice Chacmool...

40 (edited by mindplay 2004-05-13 10:58)

I hear that - for example, I would like less information in the userinfo displayed next to each post, but the only way to achieve that is to edit the code, which means upgrading will be difficult.

Rickard, have you thought about separating the code from the layout? Separation is good - if you provide code and layout/formatting in separate scripts, people will be able to change the looks of things without having to zigzag around the code, and without worrying if they'll be able to upgrade easily...

mindplay wrote:

Rickard, have you thought about separating the code from the layout? Separation is good - if you provide code and layout/formatting in separate scripts, people will be able to change the looks of things without having to zigzag around the code, and without worrying if they'll be able to upgrade easily...

In my opinion this might be good if you just want to change some html-code, but it's a mess when making mods. I think it's easier to make some changes through CSS instead, or alter the php-code.

But if the code and layout were separated, mods would be for functionality, e.g. for code, not for layout? so a mod would be no different from before, except it would come with a layout example, from which you could then copy/paste into your own layout files.

The only real reason why you've got mods now that change the layout, is because the layout isn't separate from the code - if they were separate, anyone could easily change the layout any way they wanted, without needing a mod to do it...

or not?

There are both positive and negative things with that solution. Good things is that the code is beiong more clean, and probably more easy to install mod into. On the other hand, it would much harder to start writing your own mods because you have to know the code first. When I started to make mods to PunBB, I used the HTML to navigate through the code.

Although, with experienced modders, I don't think it matters.

I think as long as you name your variables reasonably, and put enough comments in the code, the separation should not pose any problem for most PHP programmers? PunBB is well commented, and the variable names make sense, so as long as that style prevails ... smile