Topic: HowTO : merge the posts from 2 forums

Hi..

I want to merge the posts from 2 forums; in fact, i have two forums, with different users and topics; i want to add all the users and messages from the first forum into the 2nd... is this possible?

Thanx for help, bye!

Re: HowTO : merge the posts from 2 forums

Uhm... I wrote a long piece and now I'm not sure I get what you mean. Do you want to merge two forums on the same PunBB or to merge two different PunBBs on, say, different sites, with different users and topics, on the same PunBB?

I want to add all the posts and users from one punbb forum to one other punbb forum smile

Wow. Terrific :). Mmm, there's no automatic way to do it, but it's feasible, in a certain way. SQLing, of course :/. It depends on what you exactly want to do. You should move all the users and all the topics/posts changing all the id's correspondingly not to lose the links between them. I'd do it under extreme necessity and with lots of care, it's very, very fragile and not trivial, not at all.

I think you should better consider alternatives.

Yup, in fact I had a look at the database, just to see how it looked like... and guessed there could be many,, many problems in doing that.. big_smile it's not that important, in fact there were only 100 posts; I was just wondering if it was possible or not.
Thanx for your answer, bye!

has anyone given this subject more thought, or practiced it?  it's not something i'm needing anytime soon... but it's definitely something to consider in the future: the intertwining of more than one punbb forum (separate installs).

*hmmmm*
Interesting...
I think that there have been posts on it, so - how hard would it be to just share user DBs and the such?
Well...no - it would be more complex than that.

NM.

this would be very very hard to do i think, since all the user ids and post ids would have to be worked out and also you have the problem of conflicts etc

I'm just guessing here, but wouldn't it be possible to simply increase the id # ? Like adding +100 (or any number above what one of the forums are using)?

probably but what about the user ids on the post? unless i suppose you could make one forum guest posts and the other keep the users

Couldn't you just do the same for the user ID #? As long as all the ID's match it should work...right?

i dunno you could try it

Hehe, I'm in no need to merge anything...yet smile