Topic: Does PunBB need a designer?

I'd really like to talk to Rickard about this, so IM me if possible (AIM/iChat : AlexWicketts) or email alex@wicketts.com .

Otherwise... I have experience in design and in Bulletin Board development, I'd be very interested in helping PunBB. If you contact me I can show you some of the work I have done. Thanks,
Alex

Re: Does PunBB need a designer?

yay!! please do so!~~ i think punbb needs a better design!

Rickard say he wants to leave the board graphics free except the logo.

4 (edited by Simple Exploding Man 2004-04-20 22:05)

Mmm, the spacing, padding and so on could be slightly better, but that's easy to arrange to suit your taste, and for the rest I love it as it is :). Graphics-free, please.

One thing, I'll use this post to say something that's been on my mind for a while. The available smileys suck, big time. I don't mean there's not much variety (I understand why), they are just ugly! It's very easy to do something slightly better starting from the scratch, and it helps promote PunBB with no additions whatsoever, think about it boss ;).

[I'd try myself if I were not insanely busy...]

I didn't say I was a graphic designer smile. Although I could design the board to reflect other forums, I do not think It's a good idea.

I can help with layout, interface, colors... as well as possibly head a project/team to offer more styles/themes for PunBB, perhaps even some offering gradients and buttons.

Work on PunBB 1.2 is currently under way (Paul is working on the markup/CSS changes). The general look and feel of PunBB won't change much, but basically all styling will be moved into the stylesheets. I really don't want to discuss anything like this until 1.2 is released. I hope you understand.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Wheeeeeeeeeen? :)

I cant really say I'll wait and we'll talk then, because I have outstanding offers. But if you were truely interested you'd of asked to see what I've done before, so-

Thanks anyways for your time.

You can find one example at least here
http://www.wicketts.com/

An old example, showing none of my current work. But yes, one. I have a new portfolio with recent work and recent BB work.

I think the current look of PunBB is outstanding. It's clean and easy to navigate. It's also pretty easy change yourself. If there is going to be more changes to the design, I think it's better to make it even easier to change. Not another default skin.

agree with jannson. the clean, easy to navigate format is one of the reasons why i switched from ipb. no overhaul is needed. i like it exactly the way it is.

Alex wrote:

I cant really say I'll wait and we'll talk then, because I have outstanding offers. But if you were truely interested you'd of asked to see what I've done before, so-

Thanks anyways for your time.

It was not my intention to brush you off (is that the correct term?). It's just that right now I am extremely busy with things outside the PunBB realm. I'm building an autonomous robot for a competition in Denmark tomorrow and I'm a few weeks behind on my thesis. On top of that, I'm doing some freelance web application development for a local company and I have to spend some time with my girlfriend now and then. I just can't make any decisions on anything regarding PunBB right now. I'm hoping things will settle down next week. Then, I will be more than happy to discuss this matter further.

Then again, PunBB is an open source project and in the spirit of open source, I try to keep an open mind and be open to new suggestions. If you have any ideas on how to improve the appearance of PunBB, don't hesitate to fire off an e-mail. If you want to make drastic changes, nevermind. I think people like PunBB mainly because of how it looks. It's simple and it doesn't feel "designed". Other forum software have a tendency to be completetly new graphical interfaces. You very seldom want that when you are incorporating forums into your website. You should mold the forums after the website, not the opposite.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

"give you the brush off"

Ah, thanks :)

"brush you off" works equally well on this side of the pond... smile

Find what you want...  Where you want it... www.truelocal.com