Topic: Move postings

I read at http://punbb.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=3424, that there is no feature to move postings. It would be nice this would be possible. wink

Re: Move postings

Topics can be moved by mods and admins. Not posts, but topics. Honestly, I don't see what the point would be in moving a post from a topic to another topic :P.

The point of moving a post from one topic to another, either to an existing one or starting a new thread, would be if an existing thread got so far "off-subject" and the admin/mod felt that it warranted becoming a thread of it's own.

IPB and phpbb have this feature ('merge topic' or 'split topic').  I think what Shiva may be looking for is the ability to split a topic maybe?

I converted from WebBBS to phpBB and then to PunBB. What's happened is, that the posts of some topics do not appear in the right order: The topics are ordered by threads, not chronologically.

Shiva wrote:

I converted from WebBBS to phpBB and then to PunBB. What's happened is, that the posts of some topics do not appear in the right order: The topics are ordered by threads, not chronologically.

Hmm, are they ordered in alphabetic order then?

Can it be something wrong with the converter? Does the topics have a correct date? (I've made the PhpBB->PunBB-converter, so It's nice to know if somethings wrong :))

Chacmool wrote:

Can it be something wrong with the converter? Does the topics have a correct date? (I've made the PhpBB->PunBB-converter, so It's nice to know if somethings wrong smile)

Nothing is wrong with the converter! The posts were mixed when they were converted from WebBBS to phpBB.

Is there a "safe" way to move posts with phpMyAdmin? I have not yet much experience with the administration of MySQL tables...

It depends. You can safely move posts in a topic as long as they aren't the first or the last post. Just assign a new topic_id to the posts in question.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

I will try it. Thank you!

10 (edited by exito100 2005-10-31 00:29)

iam having the same request/problem.
how (where) can i assign a new topic id exactly? (in the code or is it an administrator option? ok i suppose it is in the code.
i can find a posting id (pid?) that looks like this (on this page):

<div id="p12710" class="blockpost rowodd firstpost">
    <h2><span><span class="conr">#1 </span><a href="viewtopic.php?pid=12710#p12710">2004-04-22 23:59:04</a></span></h2>
    <div class="box">

but could not find the topic id. what would it be for a post on this page for example?