Topic: IE bug: "Go back" redirects to empty textarea

Just discovered a bug that probably an IE/javascript bug but quite annoying anyway:

Steps taken:
1. Fill in "Quick post" with text containing an syntax error
2. Click "Submit" button
3. Error message correctly appears
4. Click "go back" link
5. Returned to viewtopic page but the "Quick post" textarea is empty.

I have only tested in IE 6.0 on Win2000 - it might not be a problem i other browsers.

I have tried to recreate a number of times, but for some reason it only appears sometimes (this is the best kind of bugs).

I'm not really sure it's worth doing anything about, it not really serious, just annoying to lose what just just wrote.

An easy solution with very little ssytem overhead would be to make the "go back" link post the text back to the refeering viewtopic page and fill in the textarea with the text.

Re: IE bug: "Go back" redirects to empty textarea

I'm aware of this. I have no idea why browsers seem to save the contents of form elements only sometimes. I've considered different approaches to the problem. One is to display the post form again, but with an error message somewhere.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

javascript popup? big_smile

Then what about people with JavaScript disabled?

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Fixed.

If you're interested, it works like this:

http://punbb.org/stuff/errors.png

Fixed ? that good news for me, because i use dictionary for every word when writing my post.

If your people come crazy, you will not need to your mind any more.

Looks great, I really like the descriptive error message as well. You sure know FUSE=MC^3 :-)

CodeDuck wrote:

You sure know FUSE=MC^3 :-)

Oh, that takes me back :)