Topic: A couple of questions about PunBB

Hello everyone,

First of all I have to say that PunBB has to be one of the slickest and best developed forum software I have seen in a long time, it just seems to operate perfectly.

It is for this reason that I am going to use PunBB to power a discussion forum for my Blog (theblogfather.net - coming soon). The question(s) I have to ask you are as follows:

- Can anyone give me an example of PunBB integrated with a Moveable Type blog. I know that the main PunBB page is powered by MT (or so I have heard) but I would like to see a blog with something like "recent comments" integrated into the side column. Is there anything out there?

- I really like the design of the main page of punbb and if I don't integrate PunBB totally into my Moveable Type blog - I would like to have a 'portal' page just like the main one here. Does the software have an add-on that can do that?

Thank you in advance for any help you can give!
TheBlogFather

Re: A couple of questions about PunBB

Can anyone help?

According to Rickard the main page uses MT, yes. And I've no idea about an integrated solution, someone's hinted at it but I haven't seen anything so far. Maybe someone else can provide more detailed information here.

If by "partial integration" you mean the "last discussions" window, yes, there is a file called extern.php in the distribution which allows you to retrieve data from the forums wherever you want: last posts, number of users online, etc. And it's easy to tweak if you need something slighty different.

Regards.

Putting PHP code in Movable Type templates is no problem. You can then just include extern.php with the right settings. Have a look at the top of the source file for instructions.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."