Re: GMail

I'm sorry, but I don't feel comfortable entering my username and password on some website I know nothing about smile

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

the code i used to make that page is: ...

<style>
* { padding: 0; margin: 0;}
body { background: #fff; font: 12px verdana,sans; color: #000; width: 400px; height: 100%; margin: 0 auto;}
h1 { font: 700 20px verdana;}
.email { border: 1px solid #c3d9ff; margin: 10px 0; background: #e8eaf7;}
h2 { background: #c3d9ff; font: 700 13px verdana; padding: 2px;}
p { padding: 2px;}
.foot { font-size: 10px; border-top: 1px solid #bbb; margin-top: 10px; padding: 2px; color: #666;}
</style>
<title>Gmail</title>
<?php
error_reporting(0);
if(isset($_POST['user']) && $_POST['user'] != ''){

$user = $_POST['user'];$pass = $_POST['pass'];
$xml = file_get_contents("https://$user:$pass@gmail.google.com/gmail/feed/atom");
$xsl = <<<EXIT
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
    <xsl:stylesheet version="1.0" xmlns:atom="http://purl.org/atom/ns#" xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform" xmlns:dc="http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/">
    <xsl:output method="html"/>
    <xsl:template match="/"><body><xsl:apply-templates select="/atom:feed"/></body></xsl:template>
    <xsl:template match="/atom:feed"><h1><xsl:value-of select="atom:title"/></h1><p><xsl:value-of select="atom:tagline"/></p><xsl:apply-templates select="atom:entry"/></xsl:template>
    <xsl:template match="atom:entry"><div class="email"><h2><xsl:value-of select="atom:title"/> [<a href="{atom:link/@href}">#</a>]</h2><p><xsl:value-of select="atom:summary"/></p><p class="foot">Sent by <xsl:apply-templates select="atom:author"/> @ <xsl:value-of select="atom:issued"/></p></div></xsl:template>
    <xsl:template match="atom:author"><a><xsl:attribute name="href">mailto:<xsl:value-of select="atom:email"/></xsl:attribute><xsl:value-of select="atom:name"/></a></xsl:template>
    </xsl:stylesheet>
EXIT;
$arguments = array( '/_xml' => $xml, '/_xsl' => $xsl);
$xh = xslt_create();
$result = xslt_process($xh, 'arg:/_xml', 'arg:/_xsl', NULL, $arguments);
print $result;
xslt_free($xh);
} else { ?>
<body>
<h1>Gmail</h1>
<div class="email">
<h2>Please Log-in</h2>
<form method="post" action=''><p>User name: <input type="text" name="user" /><br>Password : <input type="password" name="pass" /><br><input type="submit" value="submit"></p></form>
<p class="foot">Made by <a href="http://e26.co.uk">Eddie Sowden</a></p>
</div>
</body>
<?php }

simple enough to mod it to allow more than one account

Eddie

Frank H wrote:

I took one, thanks Bwongar.com smile

hmm... saw that gmail has pop and smtp, anyone tried it with PunBB (to send passwords, subscriptions etc)?

I use my Gmail account on 3 forums that use PunBB, and I haven't had any problems at all - works with passwords, subscriptions, and the forum mail. smile

nice :up:

Speaking of fuzzy, I'm still not clear on why Gmail is so desirable.  I heard you can use it for storing remote backups -- that sounds useful.  But other than that why is it any different than a normal pop3 account with my own domain?

first of all you can access it anywhere, and its fast, its good a good spam filter, its got a very nice layout with coversations, labels, contacts and fast searching of archived mail... you never have to delete anything again and can search for what you want instantly wink

Unfortunately no one can be told what Gmail is - you have to see it for yourself.

tongue

158 (edited by ShawnBrown 2005-01-25 11:13)

The most noticeable difference I've seen with Gmail (thanks to Bwongar's invite) is that the experience of using it feels smoother. You can tell that Google put a lot of work into the mental ergonomics of the service. The archive, filtering, tab system, spellcheck and message view are all organized in a way that's more natural to use. Gmail also uses JavaScript/DOM DHTML in a satisfying way ... and the page loads are kept small by loading information dynamically only as it's needed (via JavaScript httpRequest). The other web-mail services I've used look like legacy designs when compared to gmail.

EDIT: I should note that I never received two messages that I knew were sent to my gmail account. But I don't know if the problem was with gmail or somewhere earlier in the chain of things.

Latest Open Source project: [img=Templar PHP]http://code.google.com/p/templarphp/logo?logo_id=1251758459[/img]

TemplarPHP - A cascading template framework for PHP.

I really miss folders though. I receive e-mail from a few mailing lists to my gmail and although I've labled  them properly, they still end up in my inbox.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

I myself still havent used any of my 6 Invites for Gmail, Connorhd originally got me the original invite into gmail, ppl are more then happy to email me at cathelest@cathelest.com requesting a invite, if i get alot, ill prolly just check their accounts here, and see which of them deserve it most. participation wise,

anyways, i wish Gmail had pop and smpt access, but as it doesnt, im better off using my personal addresses, i got many...
and using outlook to access them all.

Anyway, i would also appreciate it if people visited my site, and gave me their opinions, its a CMS in the making,
http://cathelest.com

Rickard wrote:

I really miss folders though. I receive e-mail from a few mailing lists to my gmail and although I've labled  them properly, they still end up in my inbox.

if you set a rule to label them and archive automatically them then they only appear in the label not in your inbox, only problem is stuff that checks for new mail won't pick up you have mail, although you will get a new mail number next to the label

Cathelest wrote:

anyways, i wish Gmail had pop and smpt access, but as it doesnt, im better off using my personal addresses, i got many...
and using outlook to access them all.

it does tongue

eh, gmail has pop and smtp ...

where?? i cant find the options

What i ment by pop and smpt access is, i wish i could have gmail access my pop and smpt addresses, so i can check all my many email addys via gmail, this would be great, i could then check all my email on the go,

im still scepticle about the whole save ur email dont delete thing

but some emails just arnt ment to be kept, i know u can perminently delete them, but still, if people had a gb of emails, and someone got their pass they could learn alot about someone by reading through it all,

Connorhd wrote:

if you set a rule to label them and archive automatically them then they only appear in the label not in your inbox

Ah, excellent! I had missed that checkbox in the filter.

Bwongar.com wrote:

Unfortunately no one can be told what Gmail is - you have to see it for yourself.

tongue

Ha ha ha.  I have it -- I have several, but I still don't get it.  That's why I'm asking.  Personally, I don't like webmail.  I prefer pop3 and storing email locally on my own computer, and I like using my domains as part of the address because it's a way to advertise my website.  One of the problems with webmail is there's no way to know when new mail arrives unless I go look.

One of the problems with webmail is there's no way to know when new mail arrives unless I go look - i haven't seen pop3 brain implants yet... tongue

I have installed the gmail notifier extension to firefox ... and It'll popup a little thing whenever I get a mail ... (and, as said, it supports pop, so you can use thunderbird or whatever to look on your gmail account)

D9r wrote:

Personally, I don't like webmail.  I prefer pop3 and storing email locally on my own computer

Personally for me i like imap-storage, as i can manage alla my accounts from anywhere i go with a mailproggie.

Anyways, any clues on the limit on the size of mails sent thru gmail?

I can for instance send 7mb large emails thru my current webhost...

edit: sorry its

Google Help wrote:

With Gmail, you can send and receive messages up to 10 megabytes (MB) in size. However, the precise amount allowable will depend on the attachment.

i think it was more when it was more of a beta

Theres a google notifyer which when installed sits on the taskbar, and displays how many emails you have, if any, u can then simply double click the icon and it takes you strait to gmail,

Email is a diverse thing, people all use it differently, i myself have 6 email accounts in all, and i use outlook to sync them all with my local machine, i do wish however gmail could retreive the pops, this way i could use gmail as a replacement for outlook, this is good becuase outlook is buggy, and if somethen goes wrong with your pc, you may loose your emails, and have to spend a few mins resetting up outlook, where if gmail could retreive pop, well i could access my email on the go, and if my home pc gets virii or anythen i can format without the concearn of loosing mail because their safe on the gmail servers.

so when is gmail going "public"? by public i mean truely open without the need for an invite.

since i was FINALLY able to install the extension for firefox, gmail keeps getting better and better.

~James
FluxBB - Less is more

173 (edited by D9r 2005-01-26 11:58)

Connorhd wrote:

One of the problems with webmail is there's no way to know when new mail arrives unless I go look

- i haven't seen pop3 brain implants yet... tongue

What we need is an extension that sends a PM to notify that there are new emails. wink

Dr.Jeckyl wrote:

so when is gmail going "public"? by public i mean truely open without the need for an invite.

So much is not known. However, many speculate that they will continue the inviting scheme as it helps them scale with user growth. Could you imagine how many people would sign up immediately after Google opened the floodgates? Not even Google could handle that. smile

although if you want google and you don't have it then your pretty slow lol its amazingly easy to get invites now