Topic: [URGENT] Need Developer Help fast!

HI folks ...

This all started about a month ago when I found, what I thought to be a kind person to help us Mod our PunBB board.  What started out as greatness ended in disaster when the guy we hired simply 'disappeared' - leaving me holding the bag.  We were *that* close to finishng the project.

Anyway, I'm looking for someone who would like to make some extra bucks.  We aren't 'made' of money, but will be more than willing to pay for this persons time in helping us convert our board, and Mod it.  All the mods that we wish to use are located either here, or on punrez.org.  I would prefer that this qualified person quote this job.

It is imperative that you be able to preview on both PC and OSX. If you're a Mac genius, that is all the better, as we are a Mac centric website.

I would prefer that we be able to preview your work on your server first.  Once we get everything set up, then we can migrate to our server.

Only those who are really interested need apply, as we are now faced with fast-tracking the job since we are so behind now.

Please contact me off-forum for the other details

Looking forward to some replies -

Thanks in Advance!

Re: [URGENT] Need Developer Help fast!

Well, a few questions:

1. Which board do you have now?
2. Which mods do you want to have installed?

Hey guys,

What language is PunBB coded in ?

I code have some fun messing with PHP and the like, so if you want some additional
changes made to the site. Well I am willing to do some work at a very reasonable
price. So contact me if you like and we can check out what you need and if it can
be done.

Angelo

Raybo: off topic but I would be gateful for your help. Could you tell me what the current situation is regarding IE5+ Mac. Is it now to be regarded as virtually dead as overall usage statistics suggest or are Mac orientated sites still getting a significant number of visitors using it.

Paul wrote:

Raybo: off topic but I would be gateful for your help. Could you tell me what the current situation is regarding IE5+ Mac. Is it now to be regarded as virtually dead as overall usage statistics suggest or are Mac orientated sites still getting a significant number of visitors using it.

Sure Paul,

I would say there are still a lot of folks who might not of migrated to OSX yet, for whatever reason.  It could be the machine they are using doesn't support OSX, or they just don't feel comfortable with OSX yet.

Also, there are Application issues too.  For example, I have three machines, two running OSX, and one using McOS9, which is my production machine - I still use 9, simply because there are applications that I depend on, that I use almost every day.  Those apps have not been ported yet.  Also, you can run OSX in what is called 'Classic' mode, which allows you to run apps that won't run in the cocoa environment, however I tend to keep OSX clean, and elect not to install 9 on my OSX machines - pure OSX.  :>)

So, to answer your question, yes, those that are using MacOS 9 will most likely use Internet Explorer as their browser - I do myself.  In those cases where users are running OSX, they will most likely use Safari web browser, as well as other browsers [aka FireFox, Netscape, Mozilla, etc]

Essentially, most of the usage statistics you read are going to be skewed in some way, so I wouldn't give them too much consideration. IE is going to be around for some time to come, so you definitely need to code for it.

Being a developer myself, I keep no less than three browsers installed, and 4 on my OSX machine to check cross browser compatibility.

Hope this helps you -

Thanks Raybo. I've got a number of browsers installed for testing myself
IE5 (Win)
IE5.5 (Win)
IE6 (Win
Mozilla (Win and Linux)
Konqueror 3.2 (Linux)
Firefox (Win)
Opera 7.5 (Win)
Netscape 7 (Win)

Of course, not a Mac browser amongst them. Fortunately I have got some help testing on Safari and Camino but it was useful to know the situation regarding IE5 Mac even though it wasn't the answer I was hoping for smile

I wasn't aware you could have several IE versions installed in parallell. How do you do that?

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Hey guys, I could use some help here...

<signed desperate Raybo> :>)

Rickard wrote:

I wasn't aware you could have several IE versions installed in parallell. How do you do that?

Im guessing he has more than one machine to test the different version of IE.  I have never heard of a machine having more than one version of IE unless it was a multi-boot machine running different OS.

If its cheaper to run Windows than it is to run Linux, how come Microsoft has all the money?

On Mac OS9, or OSX you can install and run as many browsers as you wish.

Rickard wrote:

You cannot install more than one version of IE but a little known fact is that IE can be run as a stand alone app without being installed. It works fine just so long as you don't hit the favourites button which crashes the browser. Here is IE6 and IE5 running together on my desktop.
http://www.post21.co.uk/Multiex.jpg

You can download the file packs and instructions here.
http://www.insert-title.com/web_design/ … v/multi_IE

BW: Will some kind or mercenary soul please help Raybo. Somebody must need some beer money.

I wish I could, but I neither have time nor access to MacOS X.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Thanks for the kind words.  It  burns my ass for this guy to disappear, nor have the decency to even reply to my email.  What is worse, I paid this guy good money - exactly three days before he vanished.

Over and above the money, time, energy expended - now I'm faced with starting all over again. <:(

Raybo. I got your email but your server bounced the reply so I have tried again via PunBB form email.

15 (edited by ardoi 2004-08-12 12:55)

I hope you got the mail with script in it as I did not hear from you after my last replay (a bit like I did I know, my mistake).

Linux is like a wigwam. No windows. No gates. Just an Apache inside.