Topic: Unanswered posts

How many of you use "Show unanswered posts" in the index page footer frequently? Do you use it at all?

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Re: Unanswered posts

Nah, I just read the new threads tongue
But I guess it's useful if you have a large forum themed toward helping people.

I don't

nope i have almost never,  buts its nice to have. I use show all posts as read. I must use it at least 50 times a day

never

Almost never.

I would rather have it replaced by a similar list of topics as you have on the frontpage (punbb.org). I often use "Show your posts" to come back to topics I want to edit or read again (before someone has posted a reply in them).

I am now running the forums for 4 days and I have clicked it already 3 times, so yeah, I use it smile

Never

No I have never used it.

I would replace it with "Show todays posts" which shows all posts within the last 24 hours or Chacmools suggestion for guests and those who have not loggon on.

Ok, consider it replaced.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

I used to use it quite often. If I was unable to answer the post myself I would contact the relevant moderator (or a member who I thought could help) and ask them to answer it.
I think it makes users happier (and more likely to remain active) if they feel they are not being ignored - particularly if they are a new user.

It's fine by me whatever you do - I cannot fault PunBB - but maybe this option could be left where it is only visible when logged in as admin or moderator?

I've been down so long it's beginning to look like up..

JohnS wrote:

I used to use it quite often. If I was unable to answer the post myself I would contact the relevant moderator (or a member who I thought could help) and ask them to answer it.
I think it makes users happier (and more likely to remain active) if they feel they are not being ignored - particularly if they are a new user.

It's fine by me whatever you do - I cannot fault PunBB - but maybe this option could be left where it is only visible when logged in as admin or moderator?

Or maybe it is possible to enable it in the admin panel?

Hmm.

unless there is something to replace is it worth removing since it doesn't take up any more space on the page than s already used and the code for it can't be that big...

I'm just don't like the fact of having stuff in there that practically no one uses.

Just out of curiosity, I was checking my forum log and in the period of 2+ months show_unanswered was pressed exactly 5 times. Note that the forum has 40+ users and 1000 posts.
Rickard maybe you should check your logs.

I too dont check often in the homepage, Simply browse thru the topics and read & reply. If I have more time, I would prefer to go for that(Show unanswered posts) posts.

Once i posted about this. but not for genral posts.. should be particular for the Forum topics

God wisely designed the human body so that we can neither pat our own backs nor kick ourselves too easily

Paul wrote:

No I have never used it.

I would replace it with "Show todays posts" which shows all posts within the last 24 hours or Chacmools suggestion for guests and those who have not loggon on.

eeee i likey i likey..
hehe that would work

I use it all the time.

Bah, IIS and MSSQL... -_-

never used it, but now when you say it, mabye i will smile

I use it very often in other sites. Today I've registered in this forum and I clicked it soon after smile

P.

I use it everytime I log on on my forum.

What do you use if for? I can understand people who run corporate support forums or something like that where they don't want to "forget" a question asked by a customer.

I understand myself when on a (support?) forum I want to help someone that hasn't received an help. In addition to it I would prefer to have a "show unanswered post" button that, if clicked in the homepage, it shows me ALL the unanswered post and, if clicked in a forum, shows me all the unanswered post of that forum.

I dont think that i have ever uesd that function...

Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation - Oscar Wilde