Topic: How to host multiple forums - one domain / server

Hello:

We'd like to setup running *multiple* punbb forums on a single machine / domain (as subdomains).  Very similar to something like this:

http://ffh.jconserv.net/forum/main.php

If one or more of the true PunBB techies will work with us and assist us with this, we would be grateful!

So grateful, we would like to use on of our servers to host free PunBB forums - and we will offer one full year of forum hosting completely free of any popup advertising and graphic banners to members of this forum as a special offer and thanks to the punbb community and, of course, it's author, Rickard Andersson. 

Thanks and looking forward to punbb as our new forum software of choice!

Angela

Re: How to host multiple forums - one domain / server

Sounds nice! I would help you, but I just don't have the time.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Thanks!  Perhaps you can help indirectly then.

References/links of help to us insofar as setting up multiple forums if available would be awesome! 

Thanks for a great forum!

Angela

hi, i was thinking about the same thing - http://punbb.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=5178 i would love to help you set it up

i was thinking maybe anything.domain.com loads domain.com/punbb and punbb detects the subdomain and uses that as the prefix for the database, the only problem with this is i wanted to do different punbb packages e.g. a basic package and a modded package with PMs, Polls and stuff, so i dunno if its possible but with mod rewrite i think you could make it do this

foruma.domain.com/page?option=a&setting=b

change to

domain.com/forumloader.php?forum=foruma&page=page.php&optioon=a&setting=b

forum loader would then look up their hosting and say they had the basic package include

domain.com/config/foruma.php
and
domain.com/basic/page.php?option=a&setting=b

not sure how well this would work or if theres a better way... i was going to talk to some other sites with the same setup for phpbb and invision on subdomains or how this would work with the referer stuff but if you want to contact me i would be happy to help if i can

I don't think this will be too hard ... You just need a way to use a different config.php depending on which forum you're trying to serve up. If you want to allow users to choose mods then things become a bit hairier but still doable. I'll mull over this for a bit today and see if I can come up with a more concrete solution.