Topic: Error on log-in with Internet Explorer

Hi
Users of my forum http://www.wheresmeculture.com/bb are reporting occasional errors with logging in with Internet Explorer. The log-in procedure works as normal but, after the "you are logged in" redirect, users are returned to the main forum page in the logged-out state.

The site is not in frames, so I don't think its the 3rd party issue IE6 has with cookies as reported in the FAQ and discussed elsewhere on this forum.

Anyway, I discovered that one way to clear the error was to rename the $cookie_name value in config.php but eventually I discovered that the simplest fix was for the user to quit Explorer and start it up again.

As I mentioned the error appears to crop up occasionally.

Can anybody suggest a script-side fix for this or throw any light on this error please?

Many thanks.

Re: Error on log-in with Internet Explorer

Hmm, odd. Have you been able to reproduce it yourself?

Did changing the cookie name solve the problem? If so, why not do that?

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Yes it has occurred for me several times. Changing the cookie name fixes the problem, but only temporarily. Eventually it will reoccur.

When I've run into this problem, it has had to do with conflicting cookies. I.e. I've been testing things in more than one place and have therefore placed cookies from more than one location but set to the same domain. Could this be the problem?

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Thanks Rikard
I'm not sure I fully understand, but as the problem is also occurring for regular users who would not be involved in testing i don't believe this is the source of the problem.

here's my config file if thats any use

<?php

$db_type = 'mysql';
$db_host = 'localhost';
$db_name = 'xoxoxox';
$db_username = 'xoxoxox';
$db_password = 'xoxoxox';
$db_prefix = 'bb_';
$p_connect = false;

$cookie_name = 'WWMCbb_cookie';
$cookie_domain = 'www.wheresmeculture.com';
$cookie_path = '/';
$cookie_secure = 0;

$language = 'en';

define('PUN', 1);
define('PUN_DISABLE_BUFFERING', 1);

?>

many thanks for your help
ps I checked with my host - those wonderful people at TextDrive - and can confirm there is no redirection with regards to the domain.

What I meant was that I have encountered similar problems when more than one forum has set a cookie with the same name for the same domain. Do you have or have you had another forum installed on the same domain in a different directory?

Oh I understand now. No, I have only ever had this one installation at this domain.

Do you know any particular steps to recreate the problem? I'm having a hard time believing it just happens after a while.

I know what you mean. I will try to find a pattern and report back. Thanks. :)

Ok, I'm beginning to see a pattern. :)

I am logged in at this url
http://www.wheresmeculture.com/bb/

but if I change to this one
http://wheresmeculture.com/bb/
I am "logged out"

my nav scheme uses both versions of the url so its possible for users to find themselves "logged out" after a few clicks through the site

set cookie domain to $cookie_domain = '.wheresmeculture.com'; i think for all subdomains (not sure if it will work for no subdomain though)

What he said smile

Connorhd wrote:

set cookie domain to $cookie_domain = '.wheresmeculture.com'; i think for all subdomains (not sure if it will work for no subdomain though)

Thanks Connor, have just done that and will see how it goes.

seems to have fixed it smile

Connorhd wrote:

i also had the login/logout problem with IE (not with Firefox and Opera) and your above quoted suggestion has solved it. in my case it also works for no subdomain. thanx.