Topic: Its been 5 days..

Its been 5 days since you said the release of the 1.2... you also said it would be out 2-3 days later and now its 5 days later.. So when will it be released? Can you please tell me, i cannot re-open our forums until we get 1.2... and we were your second largest forum. So please tell me when it will be re-opened.
Your friends at Legend Arena
Lothia

Re: Its been 5 days..

So you took it down: http://lnx.propolingo.com/labb/president/forum/

Did you update to 1.2 beta from 1.1.5?

we all got the gitters lol

Perhaps Rickard likes the feeling when he makes ppl wait smile

no rudeness intended btw

We maybe have too waint as long we wainted for HL2? tongue

When people ask me when the next version will be released, I have to make an educated guess. It's not like I develop PunBB full-time. It's something I do in my spare time. These educated guesses have a tendency to be over-optimistic. Minor problems pop up all the time and need to be dealt with.

I can tell you that there is very little left to do. Paul and I are working on refining the viewtopic.php markup to circumvent a nasty bug in Firefox (that has been adressed in CVS btw). I believe we've found a solution and now all that is left is to implement it, but like me, Paul works full-time as well, so these things take time. I would be very surprised if I wasn't able to get 1.2 out today though.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

6 (edited by Lothia 2005-01-06 14:58)

Ok well the only reason I was asking is because on the home page of this site it said we expect to release it 2morrow, so I was sort of wondering.
Well any ways, I just hope it comes out soon.
Yes http://lnx.propolingo.com/labb/president/forum/ is the one that we took down, we are not bringing that back up on that domain, and maybe we will bring back out posts how ever, if we can. We had a problem with admin server it was based on a school server so we could not log in, also only one of our staff (there?s 3 of them) could access the server admin panel so we have a new server for it but still want to use PunBB.
So if you can tell me if there is a way to retrieve our posts as well that would be greatly appreciated.

Is the bug the thing about how it did 1...3.4.5? well if so be my guest but mainly i made this topic just to hear from one of con or u lol. Well thank you very much for replying.

PS: oh yeah the reason we closed it is because we had a problem iwth the IP and we were never able to change that and we had about 30 accounts made and spammed about 50 times each making alot of crap for us to delete, we eventually just closed the forum and got a temperary phpbb. But like i said we really really wanna move back so we are just waiting for the 1.2 to come back.

The bug I was referring to is a rendering bug involving Firefox.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

I actually don't mind waiting if it means a more solid product.

PunBB 1.1.5 is more then enough to keep me happy at the moment.

ooo ok
well I guess as long as its a good bug to fix, well any FF bug is good to fix considering most ppl use FF now adays lol.

Rickard wrote:

I would be very surprised if I wasn't able to get 1.2 out today though.

** SURPRISE **

smile just ribbing ya! smile

Lothia wrote:

ooo ok
well I guess as long as its a good bug to fix, well any FF bug is good to fix considering most ppl use FF now adays lol.

My server stats:

MS IE    42.1 %
Firefox    32.2 %

We be gaining!!!

Lothia wrote:

Its been 5 days since you said the release of the 1.2... you also said it would be out 2-3 days later and now its 5 days later.. So when will it be released? Can you please tell me, i cannot re-open our forums until we get 1.2... and we were your second largest forum. So please tell me when it will be re-opened.
Your friends at Legend Arena
Lothia

Sorry, can't really post what I wanted to since I couldn't find a way to say it that wasn't rude.

All I'll say is that they'll release it when it's ready. Another thing I'll mention is that you could have kept your forum up on 1.1.5 or 1.2 Beta (whatever you had) until the release of the next version. You didn't have to close it. wink

Here are the hits of one of myu websites since 1/1/2005 :

MS Internet Explorer 1230758 49.5 %
Firefox 730096 29.3 %
Opera 315549 12.6 %

And for 1/1/2004 :

MS Internet Explorer 7627796 76.5 %
Firebird (Old Firefox) 704457 7 %
Opera 676456 6.7 %
Mozilla 586952 5.8 %

Almost -40% in one year on a website with 100k visitors/month

i wish everyone used opera

comegetme wrote:

Just out of curiousity, does Opera run better/more efficiently than Firefox?

16 (edited by Dr.Jeckyl 2005-01-07 09:19)

no, but still better than IE.

my opinion tho.

i like these stats better

stats for my site as of right now for this month:
Mozilla  hits- 367 82.1 % 
MS Internet Explorer  hits- 78 17.4 % 
Unknown  hits- 2 0.4 %
~James
FluxBB - Less is more

Well opera is up to version 8
imo comparing both opera and firefox:

Opera 8 uses less memory, its noticably faster, has inbuilt email client(similar to mozilla)
All its features are extreemly well integrated, i could go on how better it is lol.

http://www.betanews.com/search?search=opera

^^^ some articles about whats new

Only thing is it costs to get rid of advertising. which is its downfall.

On the subject of browser speed, if you want to see something really fast download the latest trunk release (nightly build) of firefox. It makes v1.0 look like an old dog and leaves Opera standing.

comegetme wrote:

I love Firefox but I don't wish EVERYONE used it. Monopolies are always bad. The only browser I wish people didn't use is IE, because i'm constantly having to dumb my sites down for it.

If everyone used one browser that browser would have to do what the majority wanted. It's great that their are so many browsers with different ways of putting over their features. That way the user can choose which best suits them.

Think of it like PunBB, phpBB, Invision Power Board, vBulletin etc would we all be better off if everyone used phpBB?

no but we would if everyone used punbb tongue

yeah well I do not know if you atually knew our forum buty we have had many problems, Liek i said we cannot access the old server any more meaning we canot unclose it, further more we could not just close off registering because then that would ruin our forums for the game, and we couldn't let it stay because thjen the spamming would of just stayed. ANd we could not go to beta 2.0 because of the problem I could not update it because of no access to the server.
Well please when ever its ready could there be a announcment right away, and/or email me at lothia@gmail.com

if you want to see something really fast download the latest trunk release (nightly build) of firefox. It makes v1.0 look like an old dog and leaves Opera standing.

please..........

other way around

23 (edited by Talikar 2005-01-07 21:36)

#21 - Oh I see, yeah that would make it difficult to keep it open.

#22 - Actually I tried the Trunks build as well and does seem to be slightly faster than the regular version (1.0). Although, it's hard to tell since FireFox has always been fast for me. wink

And also:

Paul wrote:

For those who are interested. The Firefox bug is caused by images which don't have dimensions assigned to them. What happens is firefox positions surrounding content before it knows the size of the image and then fails to recalculate where to put everthing once it has got the image. The result is gaps appearing (or in some cases overlaps). Once you force Firefox to reflow the screen by changing text size etc the problem goes away.  The bug is actually in the Gecko rendering engine so it also affects Moz and Nutscrape. Mozilla have fixed it so it won't be a problem in Firefox 1.1 due for release in March. It's already be fixed in the nightly builds of Firefox.

I found this in the announcement section, another reason to use the nightly builds of firefox (until next version comes out). tongue