1 (edited by almost_there 2005-05-15 02:08)

Topic: Anybody use Netscape browser?

I redid the buttons for my board and wanted to know if they looked ok with netscape navigator. They look okay with IE, FF and Opera. I don't want to install another browser on my machine smile

Thanks

Edited:

Re: Anybody use Netscape browser?

I have some old ns4 on univ (on a solaris) ... but I can almost guarantee it'll look like shite in that one (as everything does wink)

heh, it was 4.79 ... and it doesn't support CSS by the look of it ... hehe ...

Frank H wrote:

How about Lynx? *lol*

erissiva wrote:
Frank H wrote:

How about Lynx? *lol*

Well I did check my site in lynx and it looks the same as any other site does in lynx...[strike]shitty[/strike] crappy. Also, I installed NN 7.2 and my buttons are just fine tongue

I think netscape is better than linux. But thats just my opinion

Lynx strips out everything except the text. No images, no colors, nothing but the text. To me, netscape and firefox behave almost the same. Maybe that's just because I dislike them both equally.

almost_there wrote:

Lynx strips out everything except the text. No images, no colors, nothing but the text. To me, netscape and firefox behave almost the same. Maybe that's just because I dislike them both equally.

Sorry...I was being sardonic. wink
Anyways - Have you tried K-Meleon? It's an alternative Gecko browser, but it's really hard to get used to. The customization power is awesome.

Yeah, my problem with Lynx is the same as my problem with Dillo - punBB looks like crap. It can't read CSS, so all pages look lite shite, and you can't even see new topic icons. That's why I suggest that there be an "alt" tag or something for posts.

With SMF (my old forum software) and many other forum systems, the new topic icon has an alt tag for "New Posts" and "No New". That way, text-only browsers can navigate through forums. There's not really many other problems with punBB from a Lynx-user's point of view. That's all I used to browse with.
So, if that one problem were fixed, it might make punBB more accessible to the general public.

I think by using IE, FF, Opera and NN I have most of the users covered. It looks  nearly identical in all 4 browsers, so hopefully, any other browsers will at least be able to "see" it. I think the lynx viewer more or less shows your pages as a robot or screen reader would see them. But, still, the prettiest web site imaginable looks like crap through lynx smile