Topic: Little Help Please...

Ok well... I need to know if it is possible to write code up so that you cant close the browser unless you have visited all the links... and once you have visited all the links and close the browser next time you go the links are active again...

Re: Little Help Please...

I'm not quite sure I understand your question... Are you really asking if it's possible to refuse a user to close his/her browser window, unless all links on a page have been clicked?!

Well, the answer is no, absolutely not possible.

Isn't it possible to write something in javascript so like 4 certain links have to be visited until you can close the window....

i doubt it, how stupid would it be if the site you were visiting could force you to not be able to close it?

well you could always check if the links has been pressed (on serverside, by 'link-redirects') ... but ... there's still ways to override such stuff, and you'd need to have a good session handler aswell, and the effort needed to create it I doubt will be worth it ...

so nothing you can 'force' and be able to trust will do the right things ... you just have to trust the users ... and considering where these type of things are used quite frequently ... I woulnd't give much for trusting the users to do anything wink

so ... I'd say, keep your fingers crossed that at least someone clicks them (I suppose you could always google after a finished script, if you're lucky someone have distrobuted their work, but be sure to check the code) wink

Connorhd wrote:

i doubt it, how stupid would it be if the site you were visiting could force you to not be able to close it?

It's not a page like people would visit... It's a project, theres this game called runescape and people write scripts for it in a program called SCAR the scripts are off the language Delphi and Pascal so insteed of asking money for the scripts i want it to open a window which will have google ads and I don't want the window to be closed unless the links on the ad are clicked... I already got everything allset on the script i just need to figure out how to do it for the website...

Forcing people to click on Google ads violates their ToS I think

that makes it even worse, and its totally against the google TOS

Actually, it is possible to open a new window when one is closed in IE.
I don't know the Javascript, and it doesn't work in FireFox (thank god), but it could be set up to re-open the window until the user clicks all of the links.

Another thing you could do is force the window to be full screen, and only minimize it when all the links have been clicked (another IE only thing that I do not know the code for).

Indocron
$theQuestion = (2*b) || !(2*b);

you can't make the window properly full screen in IE with SP2 anyway

yeah, but if you haven't noticed, a lot of people still use SP1 wink

Indocron
$theQuestion = (2*b) || !(2*b);

I don't even use SP1....
I'm still at WinXP Pro v2002. *lol*

However, I have all my updates up-to-date...Instead of doing the whole SP1/SP2 thing, I just installed all the necessary updates manually - not just ffrom the WinUpdate site.

erissiva, why?

I would go ahead and just install SP2.

Connorhd wrote:

erissiva, why?

Because of a key issue with the version of Windows I have. The thing is that my other computer got totally screwed up - twice.

So, the version of XP that I have is one of those "only made for the system it comes with", but I'm not going to purchase a new WinXP  when this one runs well. The thing is that SP1/SP2 say that my key is already registered or invalid, which is bull...But, whatever. roll

You could call Microsoft®, they don't support your Windows® version anymore, so they might charge you $35 USD, but if it's a product activation problem they might not charge you, I don't know.

scottywz wrote:

You could call Microsoft®, they don't support your Windows® version anymore, so they might charge you $35 USD, but if it's a product activation problem they might not charge you, I don't know.

why on the earth someone wld call Micro$lowft ?.

You could also look in their knowledge base first. It's a problem with Microsoft® software, but....

scottywz wrote:

You could also look in their knowledge base first. It's a problem with Microsoft® software, but....

I've checked. They claim that my software is a pirated version and that I need to destroy the disk and purchase a new version immediately. roll

I got it with a brand-new Dell from Dell. I don't think they'd pirate it. Plus, it was working fine on the other computer with updates...I think it's just linked to the old motherboard or hard-drive. Something like that ...

Oh, well...I don't need it.

20 (edited by scottywz 2005-06-18 18:10)

You could download it here: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta … laylang=en if you swear it's not pirated. smile

Edit: I know it says use Windows® Update if installing on just 1 PC, so don't download that if you're on broadband.

21 (edited by scottywz 2005-06-18 18:17)

erissiva wrote:

I've checked. They claim that my software is a pirated version and that I need to destroy the disk and purchase a new version immediately. roll

Destroy your disk?! No way! You could just install a clean, non-pirated copy of Windows® XP with SP2 bundled.

(Ctd.) erissiva wrote:

I got it with a brand-new Dell from Dell. I don't think they'd pirate it. Plus, it was working fine on the other computer with updates...I think it's just linked to the old motherboard or hard-drive. Something like that ...

Oh, well...I don't need it.

On another note, call Dell® and ask them. Or go into their knowledge base, if any. Try removing the 2nd hard drive. And, they say you should put SP2 on your PC. People also say not to use the firewall that comes with SP2.

People also say not to use the firewall that comes with SP2.

why?

if i were you i would phone dell like scotty said, its their fault, if not you could try slipstreaming sp2 but if the normal install doesn't work you might just be wasting your time

23 (edited by scottywz 2005-06-18 22:49)

Why? It either blocks only outbound or inbound (probably only outbound) transmissions. smile

thats what a firewall does...

A *real* firewall blocks both, the WinXP SP2 Firewall only blocks one. smile