Topic: Move Posts/Topics to a new User/Member?

Ok, before everyone starts to shout at me please read on and you'll understand. roll

More importantly, I apologize if this has already been asked before.  I did a smallish search and didn't come up with anything.

1) On our forum, we enforce new members to use their first and last names when they register.  I'm not so naive that some folks will enter in a bogus first and last name, but overall, most people have welcomed the extra perceived security, and go along and enter in the right stuff.  In general, this has worked very well for us.

2) However, we migrated from that "other" BBS, those who had registered prior to our updating to PunBB would not have accurate profiles.  If anything, our problem hasn't been getting new members to use their first and last name, it is the current members we have now that seem to be slow on the stick.

3) When I get the chance, and I see someone online whose profile isn't updated, I send them a nice, but terse email telling them to update their profile.

-- In those cases where we have a new member register, and it's obvious they used something silly, I generally delete them on the spot, assuming they have NOT posted to the board yet.

-- In those cases where we have a new member who has registered, used a silly first and last name, or, it is a member who hasn't udpated, we send them a fairly terse [but nice] email telling them to update.

If they haven't updated, my only choices are to:

1) Ban them [which usually gets their attention]
2) Delete their account entirely.

As you can see, banning is something I only like to do in those cases where I have to hit'em over the head to get their attention.

However, here is the problem.  I'm sure there will be some who just won't oblige, and even if I banned them, they'll just never bother to do anything at all.

-- In those cases where I've got a member who posted, I don't want to simply delete them, because then I'll have a bunch of posts who would belong to a "Guest".  I would prefer to have those posts assigned elsewhere it it's doable.

So, which brings me full circle to my question ....

Q: Is it possible to write a Plugin, or MOD, which would allow me to pick a Member, and "Transfer" those Posts/Topics to another Member/Admin [such as myself] ??

I recognize there would be some hurdles here ... mainly the potential for post id's being the same, etc.

If there was a Mod/Plugin such as this, that would be really cool.  I could just run the Plugin, enter in the person I want to transfer "From", and enter in the Person I wish to transfer "To".  It would automajically move all Posts/Topics/Replies over to the Member I chose.

Then I could delete that person entirely, without having to have any stray posts/topics hanging around which were assigned to a "Guest".

I hope this make sense. smile

Does anyone here have any ideas, or other work arounds would could theoretically accomplish the same thing? I'm not sharp enough to build this thing on my own, so I'm asking [begging?] for someone to help me out.

Thanks in Advance!

Re: Move Posts/Topics to a new User/Member?

hmm ... wuz it sumthin I said? sad

More likely that anybody who knows the answer is on a beach somewhere.

4 (edited by Raybo 2005-08-07 13:26)

I'm jealous .... they can't do that!! [stamps foot, whines] smile

5 (edited by Smartys 2005-08-07 15:40)

I'll see what I can do for a plugin (there shouldn't be as many issues as you think).

Edit: mmm, I lied, there's more then just updating posts, there's also topics

Hey Smartys, thanks for writing ...

kewl.  smile

That would be awesome!

One question ... when you say "Replace prefix with the db prefix ..", are you referring to the way the table is named [prefixed] in sql, or in the query itself?

Just curious ...

Groovy - I'll be looking forward to this ... Please let me know, or write me directly when you have something to test. smile

Cheers!

Smartys,

Can you zip up the plug and post here? I can't make heads or tails out of the email. sad

That's actually pretty easy to do:
I could do a plugin that changes all posts/topics to the user with the id of your choice.

Box #1 : Id of the person you want to delete.
Box #2 : Your id (2) or the id of the person you want to give the posts to.
You click submit and 1 query does it all.

Is that what you need?

Yes!  Please!

Smartys had built one and sent to me in an email, but unfortunately it got all mangled, so I can't tell heads or tails. sad

It would be cool if you would - perhaps being able to see how both were done will help me besides just having the plug too.  smile

Alright, I'll start working on that shouldn't take long..

ultime: It needs more then one query wink

http://pierrisme.com/AMP_AuthorChange.zip

5 Queries total, works fine smile
Tested a little on my server, everything went fine.
I didn't test with username with ' and " characters, tell me if anything bad happens, I'll update it for you.

Have fun with this plugin.
Simply unzip and upload in your plugin folder.

Did you even try it yet sad

14 (edited by Frank H 2005-08-11 20:55)

Haven't you heard of the classic: "No news is good news" wink

(I haven't tried it, but just so you don't feel that bad over getting no response wink)

ultime wrote:

Did you even try it yet sad

hi ultime - I'm sorry, I didn't even know you had finished. smile

I'll take a peek and let you know how things go.

Many Thanks!

Awww, thanks Frank smile

17 (edited by Raybo 2005-08-11 21:16)

ultime wrote:

http://pierrisme.com/AMP_AuthorChange.zip

5 Queries total, works fine smile
Tested a little on my server, everything went fine.
I didn't test with username with ' and " characters, tell me if anything bad happens, I'll update it for you.

Have fun with this plugin.
Simply unzip and upload in your plugin folder.

Quick Quiz ...

What is the best way to get a user ID?

Smartys used a drop down.  While that works very well, you have to be very quick on the draw [and hold your mouth right] and type really really fast to grab the user that you want. smile

In ultime's, he used user ID's. That is good, but where do you asertain the users ID from?

Wouldn't it be just as well to allow me to enter in a users name [ie: handle]?

I'm not fussing at all!  I now  have the best of both worlds. smile

We'll you get the user's id simply by hovering your mouse over their username, and look at the link it's giving.
For example, while hovering on your username I got "http://punbb.org/forums/profile.php?id=1184". 1184 would be your id.

ultime wrote:

We'll you get the user's id simply by hovering your mouse over their username, and look at the link it's giving.
For example, while hovering on your username I got "http://punbb.org/forums/profile.php?id=1184". 1184 would be your id.

doh! smile