Topic: Deleting threads

Admin have now two options for the users; 1. enable users to delete own threads including all posts in that therad, and (2) to not allow it at all.

My suggestion is to add an option that allows users to delete own threads if and only if there are no other posts in that thread. This enables users to change their mind... If someone posts a thread in the wrong forum they can delete it and post it right instead of creating a new thread and whait for moderator to delete the old one.

What do you think?

Re: Deleting threads

I take it the kind of situation you want to avoid is where a member leaves a board somewhat acrimoniously and decides to delete all their threads before they leave thus wiping out hundreds of useful posts. Or possibly where they don't understand the warning about the whole thread being deleted.

Wouldn't it actually be better just to make what you suggest the default behaviour and not provide an option for deleting threads at all i.e. make the only option that of deleting individual posts but disable it for the first post in a thread unless it is the only post.

Re: Deleting threads

Paul wrote:

I take it the kind of situation you want to avoid is where a member leaves a board somewhat acrimoniously and decides to delete all their threads before they leave thus wiping out hundreds of useful posts.

Thats right.

Paul wrote:

Or possibly where they don't understand the warning about the whole thread being deleted.

Wouldn't it actually be better just to make what you suggest the default behaviour and not provide an option for deleting threads at all i.e. make the only option that of deleting individual posts but disable it for the first post in a thread unless it is the only post.