26 (edited by Codefisher 2007-09-03 03:32)

Re: W3C validation

MattF wrote:

Just a quickie. big_smile Has anyone else been having a problem with the W3C validator showing messages/errors that don't appear to make sense?

Lol that really made be laugh a lot.  How many newbies could put there hand up to that?  Thousands would be an understatement. 

Personally I don't see   very usefully at all, and have not used it for ages.    Padding or margin is much quicker to tweak, useing   could mean editing lots of pages if I need to change it later. Which I would because I am never happen with how my site look, I always see a better site and am envious.

27 (edited by Jérémie 2007-09-03 19:36)

Re: W3C validation

Codefisher wrote:

Personally I don't see   very usefully at all, and have not used it for ages.    Padding or margin is much quicker to tweak, useing   could mean editing lots of pages if I need to change it later. Which I would because I am never happen with how my site look, I always see a better site and am envious.

Non-breaking space _are_ very useful. In fact, for some things, we can't do without it.

However, they are *not* meant for layout issue, ever.

Non-breaking space on the web should be used as they were in traditional printing and typography: as a space that bind two words or glyphs together, so that they don't end up on different lines in the final text. Nbsp are even more important on the web because everything there is fluid, one can *never* fully control (even if they think they are, or are trying very very hard) how a text is displayed.

For example, in French I use a non-breaking space before each double punctuation (:;?!), inside French quotes («»), around dashes (?) to separate the thousands in big numbers, to separate the numbers from the currency sign,, sometimes as space in math formula. Those are mainly French rules, but there are similar things in other languages.
Or simply, I use them when I don't want a break to be inserted between two words, for example when I translated a book about Hong Kong a few weeks ago, I inserted a non-braking space instead of a regular space in the ?Pui O? and ?Shek O? location names, because if the ?O? were to be sent to the next line it might confuse the reader unfamiliar with Asian names.