Topic: IP of browsing users.

Is it possible to view the IPs of users/guests currently browsing the forum? Perhaps something like "Online: User (192.168.0.1), Guest (192.168.0.2), Guest (192.168.0.3), User (192.168.0.4)", or perhaps, using the acronym tag to display the IPs by hovering over the names. This, of course, is something I'd only want administrators and moderators to see. Is such a thing possible, or would it require a mod? If so, are there any mods that exist for such a thing? I tried searching the forums, but couldn't find exactly what I'm looking for. I'm having some issues with people using proxies attempting to sign up and cause problems, so I'd like to catch them before they have a chance, and I can't do that if I can't see the IPs beforehand.

Re: IP of browsing users.

It would require a mod

Smartys wrote:

It would require a mod

Would this be something particularly difficult to make?

Remy wrote:
Smartys wrote:

It would require a mod

Would this be something particularly difficult to make?

Not really, you'd probably just need to add a column to the online table to store guest IPs, edit include/common.php to fill that column for guests when it updates the online list, and edit index.php as appropriate.

Looking for a certain modification for your forum? Please take a look here before posting.

Remy wrote:

Is it possible to view the IPs of users/guests currently browsing the forum? Perhaps something like "Online: User (192.168.0.1), Guest (192.168.0.2), Guest (192.168.0.3), User (192.168.0.4)", or perhaps, using the acronym tag to display the IPs by hovering over the names. This, of course, is something I'd only want administrators and moderators to see. Is such a thing possible, or would it require a mod? If so, are there any mods that exist for such a thing? I tried searching the forums, but couldn't find exactly what I'm looking for. I'm having some issues with people using proxies attempting to sign up and cause problems, so I'd like to catch them before they have a chance, and I can't do that if I can't see the IPs beforehand.

I had this problem. Make a forum just for new user so when they register they(that new user group) can only see that board, then make a post telling them to tell you something before they can be approved (where did you find us, age etc) then when they post you can check the IP before they have a chance to cause trouble for everyone else. If its a go just switch their user group big_smile